Sewing Skills

2»

Comments

• Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I'm glad I was born in a time schools taught skills like real cooking and sewing classes. I made sure all my kids could sew, cook, do laundry and clean house. I rarely sew clothes any more but I quilt a lot.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin
    edited July 2019

I was born in the early 80's - sort of the tail end of domestic bliss. However, my mother sewed, cooked, and kept house. I learned by not only being assigned chores, like cleaning the bathrooms and putting away laundry, but...by simply watching my mom!

She NEVER gave me a single sewing or a cooking lesson. However, I grew up and was awesome at both! So much so, I went to school for apparel design and cooking is my most favorite hobby! 😍 Taught me to never underestimate the importance of leading by action.

• MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I have been sewing for 60 years, clothing mostly, but other things as well. I was fascinated by the German lady's comment.. I taught two granddaughters to sew. I love to teach.

• Midge
    Midge Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

I always wanted to learn to sew. The closest I can get to sewing is buttons and holes in socks. I put a sewing machine on my wish gift list every year.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbow I knew a woman back in Missouri who did bobbin lace. She and her husband did historical reenactments, and it was fascinating to watch her. I have not been brave enough to try that. Just winding all those pairs of bobbins seems to be a major investment in time.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭

@Casey Cash Cash What would you do with an egg apron?

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭

I enjoy mending buttons with thread and leather belts with fishing line, torn , stuffed animals. Small DIY projects. My mom sewed all of her clothes when she attended high school. While traveling I carry a small sewing kit along with an extra bra closure, white and black thread, assortment of needles, safety pins, duct tape and pliers and fishing line. Enjoy with love.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

Actually once you learn how... winding the Bobbins is fairly easy. - The medium challenge is the SUSTAINED... concentration & focus that you must keep up. - iow, if you so much as even let your mind wander... for a few seconds (like mine does in some of my posts, lol), LOST is the only way to describe it. iow you would be OFF the very Intricate pattern; & thus comes the hard part: once it gets really messed up, in trying to UNdue it, so you can start over, because of how the bobbins work, they can get "knotted" together. YIKES ! -

Ok, that's no big deal. -- Unless the teacher says, as they did to us as little girls: "THIS will be perfect, you hear! "

Um, that means, you can Not cut the thread(s) on however many bobbins, & Start over. Nope.

You must UNdue the entire project & start from the very Beginning. That could take, oh like many hours/days of the above, depending on how far along you were.

So Trust me on this one, do NOT make any mistakes, as the Doily must be executed Flawlessly.

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

I grew up in Austria and we had to learn sewing in second grade. I remember having to sew by hand, as you didn't get to use a sewing machine until 5th grade. Our first sewing project was a simple skirt with elastic and an embroidery border around the border. It was torture to sew for hours by hand as a 7 year old, but now I am very grateful for the skills I learned.

• ines871

@gennywu I can totally relate. East Germany is where I was raised. Same story.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

I've begin sewing as a child on my mother's old Singer tredle machine, an invaluable skill on the homestead. A 'sewing certification' is a wonderful thought. Sewing is a lost art, let's bring it back.

• jjocean
    jjocean Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

The biggest barrier to a new skill is being afraid you'll be no good at it. I just started one day and basically made a mess of what I had planned. I turned good cloth into smaller pieces that were basically scraps. Not an auspicious start. But, I figure if I keep at it I could learn. This year I've made leashes and harnesses for my dogs out of soft nylon climbing webbing, made cushion covers for our couch, hanging pouches much like the egg apron, repaired clothes, etc. Dang if I haven't gotten better. Patience, accepted mistakes, reading and not being afraid to try....

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote for a basic sewing certification course. I have only made simple things like pillows. Although, I did make a rectangular door stop with a handle. That was tough, did not turn out perfect, but I got it done.

• ines871
    edited October 2019

@jjocean - Good for you! - There you go....

Actually, the biggest BARRIER to any Learning... period, is some idiot ! adult telling any little child "What makes you think you can ?!", & a follow-up: "You'll be NO good at it". - When I hear adults in public acting so sick, I want to throw-up. - Instead, I Eyeball the poor little child with "Do know YOU CAN DO ANYTHING that is good, fun& helpful, ANY thing. You are UNlimited, yes you are, Always remember this, promise?" - they grin shyly & say, "I like you. Wanna come home with me?" (lol)

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Hoping to take a quilting class and make a denim quilt. I’ve been keeping and gathering jeans (not just blue jeans) for a while now in hopes to learn some day...

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,458 admin

Well, I sew... but I can't make pants or shirt. I'm 6'4", 210 lbs Modern suits do not fit me... modern pants don't fit me... Back in the 1920-40s, men's clothes fit. Every man looked like Superman. Now everything, even in he most expensive stores, is pre made, cut to fit. There are no tailors. I would gladly pay to have garments actually made to fit me.... actual cut and sewn fabric! I need a high rise in the pants, a generous "inside leg" , a good drape, a good break, a taper at the waist and broad shoulders. But no... in our area, we pay children to work for pennies in foreign countries, to provide cheap, low quality, awful looking clothes that are more expensive than they should be. Real clothes, made by craftsmen, justly compensated... are a thing of the past.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,458 admin

era

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@judsoncarroll4

" Real clothes, made by craftsmen, justly compensated... are a thing of the past."

Amen.

And try to find a cobbler to repair shoes anymore either...

• ines871
    edited October 2019

ookay, this is a SEWING thread. - So apparently we should not veer off.... into (dare I say it) ... a THRIFT store. Now before anybody yells STOP. - Sure, here: my 1st machine, the Singer I bought in 1970 while working at Levi Strauss factory sewing Levi's.... (against factory-Insanity of "Excellent ! work but you must TRIPLE your speed"), I just had to have some Sanity at home, so I sewed my own clothes, with pleats, & ruffles, & ribbons, & Lace & so forth. 14 years of compliments 🙂

And next as a mother, I bought the "PFAFF computer-sewing machine": for Interstellar sewing LOL, for Matching mother-daughter outfits, &, and ..., & Matching father-son outfits. That was the plan. - And then disaster struck, - and our world/family splintered, forever Altered.

Twenty years later, yet another disaster struck, - so then bought all clothes from the Thrift store aka "Value Village". After a couple of years, I no longer felt ashamed, to not be sewing. - We do what we can, with the resources we have. And the best that we can do, is Good, enough.

Hopefully this helps some soul.

PS: as far as getting shoes repaired ? For the past decade, they get held together with Duct-tape. True.

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

@rainbow

"PS: as far as getting shoes repaired ? For the past decade, they get held together with Duct-tape. True."

Been there done that and it DOES work, LOL!

Backstory to my comment, and perhaps I should start a new thread re finding cobblers...I found a pair of shoes at the thrift store, lookin for work shoes. I happened upon a pair, for less than five bucks, which are $130 dollar shoes. after a week of wearing them, I figured out why they were in the thrift store, or else was a result of the 'stress' they are put under in my work. Either way, finding a cobbler who could make easy work to fix them is not easy. To keep it on topic, it is very difficult finding a tailor or seamstress these days as well. I can do basic sewing repairs, We luckily have a friend who is an actual seamstress, who can handle the 'heavier' sewing issues.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft Hi Marjory, I am pulling you into this discussion because a bunch of us are interested in a basic sewing course, if possible.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ruth Reyes-Loiacano

I too would love to learn a few particulars:

pioneer clothing, hats, and anything I can regarding this.

Also, viking wear for men and women.

I can sew, but the usual American: simplicity, mccalls and so on lol.

I look forward to the class if you do one.