Turmeric not from India?

spencemarcella
spencemarcella Posts: 2
edited May 2018 in The Homestead: DIY
most likely whats in your grocery store isnt from India, that would be my first try....also most herb stores have a at least one  turmeric product  not form India. (Frontier Coop, Starwest Botanicals etc) just do some  googling, there are plenty of non Indian organic fair trade sources out there

Comments

• Sharon Companion
    Sharon Companion Posts: 28
    edited July 2018
    You can buy turmeric from Mike Adams website - Health Ranger Store - very clean turmeric!
  • tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I really like the Frontier Coop ground turmeric root  (minimum 5% curcumin).  Curcumin  percentage varies from 0.3%-7% in turmeric, so having the 5% minimum means it came from a very healthy plant.   Frontier's organic turmeric has a minimum of 4% curcumin, so I choose the non organic because of the higher curcumin content.  I know your question was actually about turmeric that was not from India and Frontier's comes from India, so I have written to Frontier for conformation that they test their turmeric to be free from lead and other heavy metals.

I will post their answer her next week (assuming that I get an answer from them next week)
  • tomandcara
    edited September 2018
    Got a response from Frontier co op today:  "Thank you for your inquiry. Frontier Co-op has rigorous standards for lead. Although, there is no specific FDA standard for lead in food, based on FDA's guidance documents, we require all herbs and spices to contain less than 1 part per million (ppm) lead. Lead is an ubiquitous compound, and occurs widely in nature and the environment, and consequently can be found at some level in almost all food products. Based on the risk profile, Frontier conducts its own independent sampling and testing of products we receive from our suppliers. At Frontier, we take regulatory compliance and food safety very seriously, and have robust sampling and testing protocols for the products we sell. Turmeric is tested for heavy metals, including lead, for each lot of turmeric we receive."

I am very comfortable with these standards as " The EPA's standard for lead in bare soil in play areas is 400 ppmby weight and 1200 ppm for non-play areas " >https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=34&po=8
  • spencemarcella
    spencemarcella Posts: 2
    edited September 2018
    All replies to my question are much appreciated. I decided to order from Mike Adams’ HealthRangerStore although they have sold out of powdered turmeric so I’ve been taking the liquid form. So far it has worked out well.
  • Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin
    edited September 2018
    You can easily grow tumeric in a pot on the window sill. Have been doing this in my homeoffice.

you can use good compost for the pot and plant some organic tumeric. Keep it moist and it will grow more or less like a weed. At least it did for me.

you can after harvesting just dry the roots and grind them in a kitchen mixer.
  • alindsay22
    alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Grow it yourself.  This is about 2 weeks old and I just added four more to the pot.  Can't wait to not have to pay for fresh turmeric anymore!  Sorry the pic is sideways, clunky way to upload photos.

• tomandcara
    edited September 2018
    Beautiful little baby turmeric!  I will have to try again.  When I tried in the 90's the turmeric didn't grow and I haven't tried it again since that one time.  Thank you for the inspiration.
  • Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 20
    edited September 2018
    Growing your own turmeric, if possible, is your best bet.  You know exactly what it's been fed with and what kind of water was used.  It's a very easy plant.  I have a big tub of it in my living room (and a big tub of ginger as well).  Then when I have an extra bulb of garlic, I plop it into the tubs to grow garlic greens as well.  I feed them egg shells, tea, green sand for minerals, composted manure when I remember.
  • Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

My brother and I are growing turmeric this year that sourced from Hawaii Clean Seed:

We purchased two different varieties of the turmeric and ginger.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@Obiora E thank you for listing a source to buy the plant. I want to try growing it myself😊

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Thanks for this thread. I was not aware that we needed to avoid Turmeric from India. I just checked mine, it indicates packed in the USA but does not indicate country of origin.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@herbantherapy You are very welcome. So far so good. They are looking pretty healthy and I am going to feed them again tomorrow with some of my liquid fertilizer (aka Liquid O.N.E. Fertilizer) as one of them is a heavy feeder (I don't recall which one).