Make a building that isn't classified as an outbuilding

bmaverick
bmaverick Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in DIY Tutorials
This looks awesome!

I've also seen rural farms using old vans and busses as barns.  They are technically a vehicle as long as the tires are on it.  This doesn't work if there are neighborhood restrictions on "junk" vehicles.

Comments

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,617 admin
    edited June 2018
    Hi bmaverick,

Wow, that looks quite amazing.  Are those 20' cow panels?  Or maybe larger?  You've got a lot of head room and width there.  Very impressive.

I see you did a little bit of framing to hold it together.  Is it tied to ground via rebar or something like that?

Looks like a super easy way to make a quick greenhouse too.
  • bmaverick
    bmaverick Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Marjory,

The panels are the smooth welded wire-rod from TSC (Tractor Supply Co).  We had them when living down south.  Now up here in WI, those panels have a thick zinc coating on them from the Farm & Fleet stores along with sharp ends of the wire-rod (not good for tarps).

The coral panels (green tube type) are 12ft long.  The cattle panels from TSC are 16ft long.  We made the width 8ft because the raised flooring was platform pieces with outdoor green fabric from a local Menards store being tossed out.  Ideal for muck boots or the rainy days to easily clean.

So, this turned into a 12x8ft room.  Nylon corded bale twine (orange HD type, not the green) helps tie things together, however, the hooped cattle panels had to use thick UV resistant zip ties that hold heavy weight.

Now, the concept looks like this link's last photo, http://www.shadebuilder.com/horse-shade.html  BUT, it was greatly inspired by this link.  http://www.rochestertrailriders.com/2010/12/diy-how-to-build-a-horse-run-in-shed-for-under-300  We use to live up in that area at one time.  So, seeing this in person had a great impact.  It's storm ready too.   The link gives you a materials list and step-by-step with photos build instructions.

Yes, the idea has crossed my mind for a 'green-house'. :)   Danny from Deep South Homestead has something similar.

Being an engineer, when building these DIY projects, I tend to look at quality (how long it will last), price, and if the project could be used for more than one thing.  Example would be, I had made a meat-bird tractor of sorts, but because the height was 4ft, it also became a small barn later for my cousin's Dexter breed of cow because they are short.

So, to summarize this, under $300 or $400, you can have a good sturdy outbuilding without paying thousands.  Down south in the Ag zoning, this is easy to do.  Up north, permits and zoning regulations abound even in the Ag realm. :(
  • work
    work Posts: 24 ✭✭✭

@bmaverick Thank you for this link http://www.rochestertrailriders.com/2010/12/diy-how-to-build-a-horse-run-in-shed-for-under-300 I passed this along to a neighbor, And - Inspired yet another project for down the road for us too.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

We talked about this idea years ago, but just haven't done it. I have a panel bent over in the shade of our house that I use for drying herbs and other things.

For our chickens, we used insulated garage panels for the base with one running the length in the middle for support. We have a peaked wooden frame above and heavy tarp over. The sides have a hardware cloth door that is installed over the panels, and those walls are 1/2" hardware cloth to keep out everything but weasels & mice, yet give good airflow. I don't want sparrows eating the food & giving my chickens parasites. There is a 2' hardware cloth skirt going out on the ground, from the base, all around each structure to baffle the digging rats, foxes & mink. Our dog takes care of those if he can & also the larger predators.

We are currently converting the roof portion to a hip roof form. I don't remember why we aren't trying arched, but I think it has to do with the span of our panels. Anyway, with the correct angles, it should be better for snow load, letting most slip off, and easier on the tarps.

We wanted to install south facing windows for winter, but our doors are too big. That could still change. We are not done converting all structures yet.

There is more headroom now for sure, but I need to figure out a good way to close off sides in winter and for rainy spells in summer.