What did you do today on the homestead?

Comments

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

Today was honey harvest day. With the DIY bee escapes it was a smooth thing. take of the honey super and afterwards the bee escape and done.

Harvested enough honey for the family but it has been a really bad honey spring this year so not enough to sell.🐝

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

"Danger noodles"...Hahahaha 😂 We just have safe type of snakes where we live.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spent two solid hours watering 3 gardens full-throttle: & wonder just how many gallons of water that will amount to in a week, let alone each month.

• Karyn Pennington
    Karyn Pennington Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I'm in 6b and I followed some advice from some Canadian experts and covered a plot with clear plastic to warm the soil for sweet potatoes. I had a dozen slips that were very well rooted and needed to get planted. I finally did that yesterday and then checked the weather when I went to bed. The "feels like" temp this morning between 5-6 a.m. was 35 degrees, so I'm hoping they survive. That is supposed to be our last chilly night. I couldn't believe how tropically warm it felt when I cut through the plastic. I've never done that before. But I've also never grown sweet potatoes because I've just assumed that they wouldn't have warm enough soil/days in our short growing season. Fingers crossed. Hoping for success!

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Ha! You guys and gals are so funny! This weekend, I thinned out my radishes and turnips. Carrots are still not big enough to thin. I am gardening in some new beds this year, and the soil isn't great yet, so things are growing slower than I'd like. BUT, it's a start. Today I am going to start hardening off my seedlings with an eye toward planting them later this week. I'm also planning on direct sowing some stuff this week....

• Jimerson
    Jimerson Posts: 291 admin

@Merin Porter Good luck with the hardening! Gotta love this time of year :D

• greenleaf
    greenleaf Posts: 19 ✭✭

Weather continues to be weird here -- lots and lots of rain, interspersed with a little sunshine. The good news is that it is making just about everything grow like crazy. Lettuce and snow peas are hanging on, the garlic is blooming, Chives and green onions doing well, bumper crops of peppermint and spearmint. One disappointment: Can't seem to get any cucumbers started. Tomatoes are blooming.

And...weeds. Always with the weeds.

• bmaverick
    bmaverick Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

Still flooded in southern WI and northern IL. Only 40% of the crops fields ever got planted. My place is actually a little higher in elevation, but having the wildest and weirdest time growing anything. As folks here know, last year was a massive harvest from early on till the close of the Fall season. This year, is a flop the other way. It's a fight just to stay ahead.

Turnips, lettuce and spinach all are doing well. Can't get a single beet to take off. Planted 5X already in various locations and methods. Nothing. Pepper plants still are being odd as well. Very slow going.

Wild grass strawberries are fabulous. Too bad they are smaller and only come once a year.

Got hundreds of mullein plants all over the place. Not sure where they came from, but not complaining. At first I thought tobacco was coming up, but the leaf/petals didn't go that way a month later.

We made Dandelion honey syrup last weekend. Blended it with our major bumper crop of Rhubarb.

That Mother's day snow storm took out many of the blossoms on various fruit trees up here. Even the lilac tree failed to flower, but still has leaves.

Sorry for not getting on here in some time. The forums were down, and then this wild geoweather problems.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

I'm freeze drying - er, learning how to use that machine... a huge harvest of cherries!

Yeah.

ANd oh, apparently, half grown tiger cat is taking guitar lessons :)

• ines871

Marjory, as these luscious cherries all from your tree(s) in Colorado? - Good going !! 🙂

Also how do people I know sign up for your various classes ?

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

I was gifted some peaches from a co-worker, so into the canner those bad boys went.

• Merin Porter

@bmaverick , did you find a shampoo recipe you like? If you're still searching, you might check out Marjory's e-Book on making your own shampoos. If you click on "View My Dashboard" and then scroll down to "My Library," it's in that section under "Make Your Own Shampoo." It's got some great info in it!

• Merin Porter

@bmaverick , did you find a shampoo recipe you like? If you're still searching, you might check out Marjory's e-Book on making your own shampoos. If you click on "View My Dashboard" and then scroll down to "My Library," it's in that section under "Make Your Own Shampoo." It's got some great info in it!

• StacyLou
    StacyLou Posts: 89 ✭✭

I harvested the first of the green beans today, along with some more catnip and dill. We harvested our garlic last weekend - about 90.

• bmaverick
    bmaverick Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

Actually, I have found a close recipe from Dr. Axe and adjusted it a little. It's the closest I could find to retain good hair growth, avoid having a Lenny hair-dew, and to nourish the hair root follicles. It has Rosemary oil, Texas Cedarwood oil, Bioton liquid (egg yoke based), Saw palmetto, Spikenard oil, Sage oil, in a Cocos Nucifera base oil.

• 4winds2go
    4winds2go Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

I’m embarrassed 😮😔now!! Thought getting up at 6, turning on the auto watering, watering a quadzillion 🍅 ok, so maybe 25 tomato plants and the rest of the garden, awaiting a drip system, checked on our 4 new trees in the orchard...ok so there’s only 4...but we’ll get more this fall, throw a ball hundreds of times for our Rottweiler, picked ripe tomatoes, prepared tofu in my instantpot (IP) using my Crisplid(CL), whipped up a batch of crisp chickpeas ditto in the IP and CL., made potatoes in the IP and made hash browns with the CL ... came to this wonderful forum to post and cool off. Was 104 degrees in south mid eastern WA...not the usual!

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Watered the veggie garden. Made some potting mix for seed trays and planted roma tomato, zucchini, apple and lebanese cucumber and directly planted climbing beans. At this time it's the right lunar cycle for above ground crops! Sharpened the chainsaw and helped a friend clean up an overgrown horse riding track on her property. Made some gluten free piklets for morning tea for when my dad came to visit. A good day!

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I repaired goat fencing, after herding the little darlings back into their area. This was followed by herding up a barred rock roo, for two hours. I may have threatened to place him in my pressure cooker...before remembering the problem was, I could NOT capture him! :) I am still not sure how he flew the coop.

• ines871

Thanks ! for this: Hey, need a good laugh? - just come here & read the posts in @Marjory Wildcraft 's place LOL - hey Marjory, yes I'm the joke around here, but honestly in what category can we post clean jokes ?

• Blair
    Blair Posts: 46

regarding snakes ie "danger noodles" :-) never heard that one before. we have both rattlers and copperheads here in central PA.

• Blair
    Blair Posts: 46

canning peaches with my wife. can't put in a full day as she is involved with a play (Mamma Mia) in town tonight. closing night. she is also making candy for the "cast party".

• ines871

inbetween our much-needed rains: potting up 5 Lilly plants, +3 strawberry plants, +3 herbs, +2Grape starts, + 2 red Raspberry starts, & a "basket of Gold" (Spring flowering plant), etc... for 1 of our dear friends who just moved. - Fortunately still get to see him at least once monthly.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Mostly played with our chicks. We just let the little things into their yard so I made sure they had water and just kept an eye on them. It is so much fun to watch them figure things out! There are still a few that haven't ventured outside and we are watching to make sure all of them find their way inside for the night. So cute!

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

I harvested some things. It was pouring down rain this morning and we had a sun break later so I ran out there!

• ines871

Hi @herbantherapy - are these the same as in your other picture? -

or are there different plants? if so what are they, please.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@rainbow they are the same.

left to right:

chocolate mint, pineapple sage, rainbow chard, peppermint, basil, hyssop and redbor kale

• ines871

Thank you yet again @herbantherapy for explaining in the other "What did you Harvest today" discussion what your Herbs are. Surely you use them for all kinds of Remedy, & Wellness reasons. --- Yet another, of yet 10 major projects I need to get started on, sooner than later. - Reading what everyone is sharing & doing here, & Go: oh boy, sooo much more to learn & do.

Today found, the darn Blackberry vines that for 19 years I have been whacking down, have found themselves a new fancy hiding ! place: Yes, while harvesting yet more wonderful grapes, legs were torn open from what ? - Blackberry vines that fully intertwined with the grape arbor, & about 40 feet. - oh boy, no small job either.

Also readied another red Rosebush for a friend's Happy Birthday tomorrow

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

Trimmed goat hooves, cleared out the summer garden space, mulched and began prepping fall garden space.