Best insulation that can be blown in and existing roof?

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
edited July 2018 in The Homestead: DIY
I haven't gotten around to doing it yet....  but my attic also needs additional insulation.

I am planning on using Blown Cellulose instead of fiberglass.  Its almost as good for R value, but its way less toxic than fiberglass.  OTOH, I've read it doesn't adhere as easily as the fiber.

Its still a bunch of particulate and dust, so do still wear a dustmask/gasmask while blowing.  :-)

M

Comments

• bmaverick
    bmaverick Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Wool tends to be a favorite.  It's been used as insulation going back to the Romans.

Mineral Wool is used around hot furnaces as a thermal protective barrier.  It too has a certain R-factor.   Now, it's been taken to a new level, the same makers of the pink-stuff fiberglass offer the Thermafiber mineral wool insulation.  It's much better for R-factor rating vs. the spray foam that will collapse over a shorten time.  PDF info here.  www.thermafiber.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Mineral%20Wool%20vs%20Spray%20Foam%20Brochure.pdf    website ... http://www.thermafiber.com

FYI ... just because some insulation has the word 'wool' doesn't mean it's made from wool.  Example is the Eco Loft Wool.  This is made from recycled plastic bottles.  Nice saving eco idea, but not good in the event of a house fire.  The house would burn more rapidly and give off that nasty black plastic smoke fumes.  Even deadly if highly concentrated.   Similar to the spray foam insulation too.  BUT, that can include halogenated fire retardants that only delay the big inferno by a few moments.

Now just think of how many of these wild fires in the past 2 decades that has claimed both lives and property.  The mineral wool insulation has a rating above 2080F.  Copper starts to melt at 1980F.   Fiberglass insulation melts at 1050F.

Also, IF you ever have to sell your place, building codes in areas of the country are strict.  Thus, the mineral wool is a great option to pass an inspection, even for VA loan applicants.  If you had some other unknown rated insulation materials, chances are, your home will not get listed unless the private party pays CASH.

Read the PDF file.  Then ponder these things.  Keep you and your loved ones safe.  Keep your home investment intact too!  And the benefit of a great R-factor rating value.

OK, I'll hop of the hobby horse lecture stand now. LOL
  • Marjory Wildcraft
    edited July 2018
    Thanks BMaverick,  they are at www.permafiber.com fyi.

OK, I've got some research to do.

I love my merino wool sweater if that accounts for anything :)

Mike, I need to look up the blown cellulose too.  Thanks for sharing this - oh yes, face masks always.  I wonder if they put fire retardants in that cellulose?  I really prefer not to have any additional chemical load in the house. And even though we aren't using that attic now, we might in the future.

Have either of you heard of an insulation that is made from old blue jeans and can be blown in?

• MikeF
    MikeF Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    It looks like most of the readily available cellulose and blue-jeans insulations come treated with fire retardants.

80-90% recycled organic matter....  Treated with poison "for Safety".   ;-)

M
  • Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin
    edited July 2018
    Hey Marjory,

We just did insulation in the Spring and we used this. I'm happy with it...and so far, our electricity bill has been cut in half!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GreenFiber-Low-Dust-Cellulose-Blow-in-Insulation-19-lbs-Bag-INS541LD/100318635
  • Marjory Wildcraft
    edited July 2018
    Hi Mike F - I love that comment 80-90% recycled organic matter….  Treated with poison “for Safety”.

Ruth, thanks for posting up the Home Depot link on the recycled blow in stuff.  I sent it over to Dave (my hubby).  He loves HomeDepot....  I am wondering about using the blown in cellulose in the places where we can blow it in....  like between the walls, etc.  and using the merino wool in the places where batten can be put and we may want access to in the future that doesn't involve a mess...

Hmm, still pondering.  But I'll keep you posted :)

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin
    edited July 2018
    Marjory,

We did the blowing part ourself...let me tell you...It was a terrible day. With that said, sooooo worth the effort!