What medicinal herbs are you harvesting right now?

Cherlynn
Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
I have not harvested any so far, but I have lavender, rosemary and spearmint and chocolate mint, and tansy. Have you ever used tansy for anything?

Comments

• NanC
    NanC Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Oregano, basil, holy basil, nasturtium.  Later on in the fall, rosemary, sage, parsley, mint

I am wondering whether to overwinter the rosemary in the ground, or dig up and bring in.  Anybody have experience to share on how to protect a rosemary plant.  I had one once, a large bush of it, and put a wooden box around it with the top exposed, but it didn't survive.   The one I have now is a much smaller plant.
  • Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 643 admin
    edited September 2018
    I am harvesting mainly mint, chives, parsley, oregano, rosemary currently.

I try to get cuttings from the rosemary to root in the fall and take it in the house and risk it with the plant out in the ground. In some years it survives great in others it dies. neighbors have tried with some protection by branches of pine in the fall.
  • Cherlynn
    edited September 2018
    Tansy has lots of uses but I mostly use it for bruises, sprang and rheumatism.   You just bruise the tansy leaves and lay it on the affected area and it greatly helps.  It also helps with Measles, chicken pox and small pox which we hopefully will never have to worry about again.  Here is a link to a page that has research papers explaining its uses.  http://herballegacy.com/search.php?zoom_query=Tansy
  • Cherlynn
    edited September 2018
    I am also bringing in herbs for the winter.  I've tried burying them in straw and leaves and they never make it over winter.  So those that thrive potted and placed on my south facing window sills get moved in and the rest get picked clean and I will replacement in the Spring.  No heat or special lights.  Just my south facing windows. If they can't thrive in my south facing windows I don't bother bringing them in.  Oregano and Basil get picked clean and I replace them each Spring.  I do the same with my mint but I do bury it and hope it will be there the following Spring.  It's hit and miss but I don't mind replacing it if I have to.  I also bring in Kale.  We eat tons of it and it is  one that really thrives in my south facing windows.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 42
    edited September 2018
    I have been thinking of harvesting all of the dandelions in my yard instead of mowing them over.  These forums are inspiring me to do it, as I have this free medicine all through my garden.

I also have narrowleaf plantain, but I don't know what to do with it, other than drying it and learning the properties at a later date.

I just started the making homemade medicine class, I am a newbie at this.  Anyone have any ideas on how and when to use it?

I also have thyme, rosemary, mint, raspberry leaf and another hidden plant that I'm growing in secret, that are almost ready to harvest, plus some nettle and a few other wild varieties I have yet to identify.
  • Pharmer
    Pharmer Posts: 17 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I'm trying to figure out how to keep my Solenostemon monostachyus (Nyale) alive through the winter months.  Going to try to save the seeds.  That plant is supposedly an African cure-all, and purportedly anxiolytic.  I'm afraid that if people start having fun with this plant, Indiana will make it illegal and I won't be able to grow it anymore. ;-). Does anyone here have any experience with this weed?

I have a mess of native herbs which I infuse into teas and use as a basis for herbal soaps.

As for the narrowleaf plantain that Angela mentioned:  Plantago lanceolata, (like Plantago major) is a good anti-infective, wound healing type of weed.  The anti-infective activity apparently does not survive cooking, so poultice or infusion without boiling it is the best way.
  • cyndi193
    cyndi193 Posts: 14
    edited September 2018
    Rosemary can be tricky. Sometimes it will survive a winter and so sometimes it won't. If you don't want to bring the entire plant in to can take cuttings from it and bring those in and nurture those inside until spring.
  • Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 20
    edited September 2018
    I harvest 20 pink clover flowers every day starting in June.  I also harvest a handful of plantain every day.  Every week I harvest willow bark.  When it's hot, I harvest cattails.  I just finished picking chokecherries and cherry bark and am starting to pick apples and hawthorn berries.  It's time to start digging burdock root and dandelion root here as well (Manitoba Canada).  The last of the raspberry leaves need to get done in the next week.  I don't have the luxury of overwintering rosemary here, too cold.  I am always looking for new herbs to grow from seed here, to see if I can get them to a point of overwintering.
  • lorifloyd5
    lorifloyd5 Posts: 11
    edited September 2018
    There are tons of yellow flowers blooming in TN right now.  They look kind of like black eyed susans but a little smaller and some don't have a black center.  I'm new to foraging wild herbs.  Is this something like wild chamomile or calendula?
  • H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Lori,

Rudbeckia hirta L.is the latin name and they are similar in action to the echinacea plant.  Just don't use any seeds in medicinal preparation

Heather
  • lorifloyd5
    lorifloyd5 Posts: 11
    edited September 2018
    Would you tincture the leaves? I made a syrup out of some of the juice and honey.
  • DebiB
    DebiB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I've harvested my holy basil and I've just harvested an echinacea plant for tincture.  The flowers were done on the echinacea plant so I only used the leaves and roots for the tincture.
  • StacyLou
    StacyLou Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited September 2018

I just harvested some calendula and lemongrass. I have basil and oregano going in my other dehydrator.
  • LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,356 admin
    edited September 2018
    I just got done making a milky oat tincture.

I didn't collect as many herbs as I did last year. I have found that summer flew by so fast, that sadly, I didn't get much done. I still hope to get a bit more fall-collecting done.
  • Cherlynn
    edited September 2018
    I fully understand Laurie!  It's been a crazy year all around!  It would be nice if the weather could calm down and not go full blast in extreme mode!  We spent most of the winter in the 60's and 70's and then suddenly when Spring should of been in full mode we got winter.  Single digit temps and mountains of snow.  This continued through May 17th and then 2 days later we soared into the 90's and beyond.  No rain, just searing heat until late August when the rains started.  To late for crops and lots of flooding.   We are frantically trying to get  this new home built for our son's who moved back home to take care of us.  Not sure we need taken care of but it is very nice to have them here to help when we need them.  Anyway they are currently in our basement and it would be nice if they had their own place.  While we have to take lots of breaks and got a late start we are moving right along.   A neighboring farm has siding for us in 2 weeks and we  will be ready for it.  I am trying to squeeze in time to go collect herbs that grow wild on our farm.  I had thought we lost most of them in the drought but the rain has brought them back so now am scrambling to go harvest what I can before winter sets in. Chamomile is popping up all over and I have ran completely out of it so I am hoping my son can go out with me tomorrow and harvest at least a couple buckets full.  My husband and youngest son deliver herbs for a neighboring farm on Wednesdays and Saturday so those day's I have the best chance to go out and collect.
  • Blair
    Blair Posts: 46
    edited October 2018
    My first time posting anything. Hope I am doing it right. I have brought in a small bit of rosemary, have choc. mint to get along with Lemon balm, Echinacea leaves, Spearmint, Peppermint, and a few others. I did make three small bottles of Poke weed ink last week.