Diving deeper in herbal education

Angela
Angela Posts: 42
there are hundreds of schools out there some online some physical schools it really depends on what you want to learn. A clinical herbalist doesn't do the same things as an herbalist does day to day. Try going to the American Herbalist Guild's website they have recommendations on schools etc. Rosemary Gladstar, Susun Weed, David Crow are some great herbalists to follow. Susun Weed has a great you-tube site. It also depends on if you want a specific system of medicine..some herbalists are based in TCM and others in Ayurvedic medicine, some are traditional western herbalists and some are eastern herbalists and some, like me, are clinical herbalists in practice and take from all systems of natural medicine to promote healing in the body. But there is nothing better than getting outside, finding an herb/weed identifying it and learning its uses, its by far the best way to learn.
HTH
Heather

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,375 admin
    edited September 2018
    I am learning by learning about what is readily available around me. It is fascinating. I like to learn what is not only good for people, but what I can use for our various animals too.

I read books (and online info) from the first two women Heather mentioned. Both are very knowledgeable women. I was introduced to Susan Weed's work when I was expecting my first baby years ago.

I would say to start with these and the gentleman that I will tell you about, below. Use these as your base. Learn from them. Use them as your foundation & build up & out from there.

At the moment, I take in free webinars from those that I trust, with the goal of taking paid training in the future. I like to learn from a variety of highly respected herbalists to get different perspectives and experience. I am careful that what I learn is accurate and do a lot of "double checking." Fluff and incorrect information is not only potentially dangerous, but a waste of my time and limited brain space. ;) I only want good stuff in there!

As far as who my top pick is right now, it would be K.P. Khalsa. I like that he has a lot of years under his belt and is well versed in the three main herbal methods as Heather mentioned. He knows substitutes, how to combine from all 3 and so on. He has a lot of important credentials too that help give accountability & credibility to his words.

I have a particular interest in DIY & women's health, so would probably focus on that more as time went on. I would like to teach women what I know so that they can also learn how to take their own health & wellbeing back into their own hands.

Anyway, I like K.P.'s style of teaching, which is calm & relaxed, giving good information in an easy to learn, down to earth, & yet still thorough, professional manner.

I like that I can take classes (at this point I watch for his free ones) from my home. I can also take short paid ones as well if I wish. All video is recorded and through my account, is accessible anytime. He is well researched and backs up his information by crediting where it came from, including studies, etc.

His site is here:

https://www.internationalintegrative.com
  • DebiB
    DebiB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    A person I would recommend is Phyllis D Light.  She specializes in Southern Folk Medicine and has been practicing a long time.  She runs the The Appalachian Center for Natural Health where you can go and take classes which sounds like it would be very interesting but I really don't have the time for her full programs but when I get the opportunity I do go hear her speak at different events.

Here's a link to articles on her website:  https://www.phyllisdlight.com/articles/
  • MissPatricia
    MissPatricia Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Yes, Phyllis Light would be a good one. I ran into her the other day at Whole Foods; she told me she is teaching two classes now.

I also like Barbara O'Neill on You Tube. She is great; Her teaching would complement what is taught here. I found her before I found this site. I have listened to her many hours. She is in Australia.
  • Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I've been taking courses from Herballegacy.com   Founded by Dr Christopher who became the US Army's special person back in WWII when he showed them how to cure so many strange  things coming out of Asia.  They actually built him a laboratory to mix all his formulas up.  Dr. Christopher has passed on but his son still runs the company and gives many lectures around the world. I am a long ways from receiving my doctorate but my county had me show the para medics many tricks of the herbal trade that has saved so many over the years and I get calls to help the doctors treat folks that are not responding to regular treatments or refuse regular treatments.

• H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Cherlynn
    That is a fantastic website! Thank you for posting
    Heather
  • LaurieLovesLearning
    edited September 2018
    I am taking a look at the website as well. I have been to it before, actually! There are so many good people to learn from.
  • peppypoblano
    peppypoblano Posts: 92
    edited September 2018
    Lots of resources - thanks.   I am hoping to delve deeper into this over the winter.  There has to be a better way than what is pushed upon us.  I am so glad to have found like minded people here.
  • H_D
    edited September 2018
    Peppy

there absolutely IS a better way!

Heather
  • LaurieLovesLearning
    edited September 2018
    Thumbs up!
  • alindsay22
    alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Such a good question Angela.  Thanks for posting.
  • alindsay22
    edited September 2018
    Cherlyn,

Thank you for sharing the Herballegacy.com website.  I am off to find herbs to make the lower bowel formula for my daughter.  I've been meaning to go deep and try and suss out a cure for her chronic constipation - I've reduced it drastically but never cured it.  My very complex kids are the reason I started learning about herbs AND the fact that I couldn't afford a naturopath for more than a few months - damn AMA and the insurance industry.   This website rocks, and they aren't selling anything which makes it even better in my opinion.

Cheers,

Anne
  • H_D
    edited September 2018
    ALindsay

private message me if you would like, I am a clinical herbalist AND a naturopath and I dabble in homeopathy (mostly focused on reversing vaccine damage and homeophorphylaxis (homeopathic vaccine schedules) ...I can offer some assistance in your quest if you so desire

Happy Healing
    -Heather
  • H_D
    edited September 2018
    ALindsay

private message me if you would like, I am a clinical herbalist AND a naturopath and I dabble in homeopathy (mostly focused on reversing vaccine damage and HP (homeopathic vaccine schedules) ...I can offer some assistance in your quest if you so desire

Happy Healing
    -Heather
  • NanC
    NanC Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    sorry the text is not copying right.
  • H_D
    edited September 2018
    If you post using the TEXT tab (look at the top right of the text box you see visual or text.) when you are copying and pasting text from the internet it wont pull the HTML in and make it unreadable :)

Heather
  • H_D
    edited September 2018
    If you post using the TEXT tab (look at the top right of the text box you see visual or text.) when you are copying and pasting text from the internet it wont pull the HTML in and make it unreadable :)
    (I got the same email!)
    Heather
  • NanC
    NanC Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Here's the text in text mode, but you can watch the video in the prior posting above.

Ok, so... our goal in this short video series is to show you how the Taste of Herbs Flavor Wheel works.

Why?

Because we want to take you BEYOND Vending Machine Herbalism.

This is when a person tries to dial up an herb they can use anytime for an ailment.

Like.... cold and flu = Echinacea ....or... tummy ache = peppermint.

This can work, but it only works SOMETIMES.

Here’s what WE want to do...

Skillfully match an herb to the PERSON, and not the disease.

Then, our chances of choosing the RIGHT herb increases... by a lot.

And the KEY to doing this is finding the Herbal Sweet Spot...

And the KEY to doing this is finding the Herbal Sweet Spot...

Rosalee is going to show you how to find the Herbal Sweet Spot.

It might look a little esoteric, but it’s actually very grounded.

It’s also super easy to understand.

You can watch it right now.

Enjoy the video!

Warmly,

John Gallagher
    LearningHerbs

PS....

The video AFTER this one dives deep into using the Taste of Herbs Flavor Wheel.

However, you REALLY want to watch today’s video first.

Besides, you’ll get to discover your PERSONAL constitution!

Curious?

Watch the training.

PPS...

Just a heads up... for the next video (coming soon), Rosalee will be using two herbs, fresh or dried ginger and peppermint.

If you don’t have these in your kitchen, pick some up at your local market.

You could get a fresh ginger root, and even a package of peppermint tea bags for this.

• alindsay22
    edited September 2018
    Thanks Heather,

I will when I figure out how to pm someone :0)

Anne

• H_D
    edited September 2018
    Anne

click on "view my my dashboard" up at the top of the screen, then click on "view my profile" on the right under your profile pic then "messages"

Heather

so many features I keep noticing lol
  • AndreaDennin
    AndreaDennin Posts: 41 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I started my herbalism studies by reading a few books. My favorites are The Little Herb Encyclopedia by Jack Ritchason and The How to Herb Book by Velma J. Keith and Monteen Gordon; and anything from Rosemary Gladstar or Susan Weed.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 42
    edited September 2018
    So much good stuff here, thank you everyone for your excellent suggestions.  I'm going to buy the book Alchemy of Herbs by Rosalee de la Foret (the comment vending machine herbalism really hooked me), and my next read will be something from K.P. Khalsa.

Also I am going to do some back yard wild herb identifying and harvesting.  I never thought of getting my kids involved with this but thanks to you all I realized it is a great project we can do together.  They love foraging for wild foods, so this will be a great next step in developing their appreciation and understanding of what nature has to offer us.

Thanks again for the help, and keep the information coming, I find it all so valuable.