Herbal Remedies - Long Herbal Infusions and their benefits

H_D
H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
I do both, shorter and long infusions because it's also my bevy in the morning (well who am I kidding, all day).  Often I pour off the first pot in about 1/2 hour then pour a second over the same leaves to sit.  Don't know if that's kosher, but that's what I do.  I've also been told never mix roots and leaves, but I do that too.  Since it's infusing for so long, I don't see why not.

Always nettle and usually calendula and marshmallow - then I add some of the following depending on what's going on (and who the infusion is going to be shared with) - elder, astragulus, echinacea, raspberry, mint & licorice (fav together), motherwort, passion flower, skullcap, rose hips, cinnamon, basil, thyme, rosemary and lemon balm.  I mix a large mason jar and use the same mix for about a week.

My kids favorite and often their thermos drink is nettle, calendula, mint and licorice over ice.  The licorice makes it sweet.  Actually, as long as the herb isn't too bitter, they will drink anything with mint and licorice, or anything else as long as there is some honey in it.

I am glad to see you use comfrey Heather.  I have recently added comfrey to my list of herbs and am finally growing it in the yard.  I started using it externally and was sad to see it recommended  not be taken internally, and even though I still do, I haven't experimented enough with it because of the literature. I keep it to my own occasional use internally and not the kids.  I'm slowly trusting that science messed up on this one.  I suspect I have stomach ulcers, so this would be a fantastic herb for me to take daily.

Comments

• H_D
    edited October 2018
    sometimes its not that the herb is bad for you or toxic but that for the masses something that produces unwanted side effects is often thought of as toxic.. For instance ipecac causes vomiting..maybe not an herb you want to use on a daily basis however, effective in inducing vomiting when it is needed.
    IMHO using herbs more than once when brewing your tea is just fine I cant tell you how many times ive made a tea bag to large and used it all day just refilling the hot water....for the long infusions though I put a large tea bag in a mason jar and fill it with boiling water, cover and let it sit till morning..either heat it up a little then or I simply drink it cold.
    Happy Healing
    heather
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 42
    edited October 2018
    Thanks Heather for this info, I always learn something from your posts.

I am going to try a few different long infusions for my kids to boost their immune systems. I am currently researching recipes that will be effective but at the same time won't be too strong tasting for kids.  My kids love mint, I'll be sure to include it in the mix so there will be a flavor in it they can identify, hopefully they will be less reluctant to try them.
  • H_D
    edited October 2018
    if you want to include mint don't do a long infusion with it, it won't taste good, add it later. Some herbs (mostly aromatic ones) shouldn't be brewed in long infusions..chamomile is one of them..play around with the flavors, you can also add things like raw honey, a splash of maple syrup, lemon, cinnamon sticks, some even like to add a splash of tamari etc.
    Enjoy
    Heather