tried and true dental pain remedies

H_D
H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
Sorry to hear you’re both pretty miserable right now. Positive healing thoughts being sent your way!
I have no tried and true formulas, but I did a quick search through my resources and found a recipe for a tooth powder that might help. It is from Rosalee de la Foret. It is not specific to an exposed nerve, but she says “...myrrh has also been used for a variety of ailments such as mouth cankers or sores, wounds, pain...”
2 T cinnamon powder
1 T Myrrh powder
2 tsp licorice root powder
Mix up the powders, sprinkle on your tooth brush and brush like normal. If you don’t like the taste of licorice, it’s not as integral. If you omit it and want the powder to be sweeter, just add a bit of Stevia.

I read another article that stated, “In India turmeric is frequently used for toothaches and to heal gums.”

I know this isn’t specific to the exposed nerve pain, but I hope it gives you some more information to work. Good luck!

Comments

• Sharon Companion
    Sharon Companion Posts: 28
    edited October 2018
    I use Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide for any and all dental pain.  I buy 35% FGHP and dilute it down to 3%.  I use the 3% as a mouth wash and gargle.  I have one tooth that has a nerve partly exposed and whenever it gives me pain I use the 3% FGHP as a mouthwash and the pain goes away immediately and usually lasts for a few months before I feel pain again.  I use it wherever I have a sore throat as well.  I usually gargle three times in total but the very first time I use it the pain is gone immediately.
  • H_D
    edited October 2018
    thank you ladies for your comments..He is afraid to use powders directly because he has SO many broken teeth with holes in them and there is simply a fear of something getting lodged in..we have tried all of those suggestions..This is an ongoing battle (he already has gotten to the point he drains his own abscesses with a syringe (gross I could never but he does and does it well ) I made him a super strong mouth wash with cinnamon and cloves, (incase anyone is interested 1 cup of water to 1/4 cup of clove and a cinnamon stick boil the water pour it over the cloves and cinnamon and let it brew literally until its room temperature, after he swishes with that for 30 sec-1 min he also swishes with colloidal silver, he seems to feel it works well, then a EO blend of clove, peppermint, tea tree , roman chamomile and a myrrh/frankincense co-dist. he can put on a cotton swab and apply directly. I also made for him powdered clove with powdered goldenseal infused it into olive oil he can rub on his gums.. all this with an upper respiratory infection and a massive headache. Thank you again ladies
    much love
    Heather
  • H_D
    edited October 2018
    new mouth rinse recipe if anyone is interested

I used 2 cups of water in a sauce pan, half a cup of each bark I am going for extra super duty strength ...decoct white willow bark and prickly ash bark 20 min..turn off heat add 1 tbsp of powdered goldenseal root, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, 2 heaping tablespoons of clove powder (for the powders I put them in throwaway tea bags and just toss them in the pot) along with some whole cloves if you desire. let it sit until cool and ready to use. strain and store. Once its cool, Ill be adding some of my homemade colloidal silver to the mix as well.

White Willow Bark will provide some pain relief and anti inflammatory (poor guy looks like he has nuts stored in his cheek for a decade :( )

the prickly ash bark is well known as an antifungal (Bafi-Yeboa NF, Arnason JT, Baker J, et al. Antifungal constituents of northern prickly ash, Phytomedicine . 2005;12:370–7) and antimicrobial bark (Gibbons S, Leimkugel J, Oluwatuyi M, et al. Activity of Zanthoxylum clava-herculis extracts against multi-drug resistant methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (mdr-MRSA). Phytother Res . 2003;17:274–5)

~ Prickly Ash extracted into water was shown to significantly reduce swelling and improve blood flow in experimental models of varicose veins and hemorrhoids (Bensky D, Gamble A, Kaptchuk T. Chinese Herbal Medicine Materia Medica, rev ed. Seattle: Eastland Press, 1993, 304-5)

Goldenseal has berberine in it which also reduces swelling and is a strong antimicrobial, there is also roman chamomile in there to promote a little calmness and soothing to the area..cinnamon to make it taste a little better and for its ability to bring out a little numbing action, and we all know the benefits of cloves in dental care.

I think I covered it :) Now to tackle the oddest upper respiratory infection where i have no congestion, no cold just pain, labored breathing and unproductive dry coughing.

Happy Healing
    Heather
  • StacyLou
    StacyLou Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Here are a few quick tidbits.
    A quote from Rosalee de la Foret, “As long as the symptom pattern of dry, irritated and inflamed lungs fits, consider mullein for any type of cough, as a tea, tincture, or even inhaled as smoke or vapor.”
    Here’s some quotes from Henriette Kress’ book:
    “Plantain leaf soothes mucous membranes and calms inflamed tissues. Use it as a tea, gargle, or syrup for dry coughs and hoarseness.”
    “A mallow syrup is great for dry coughs, but it lacks flavor.”
    “Mullein tea helps when you feel as though someone is sitting on your chest and you have difficulty breathing. Take small sips until you feel better, and have your lungs (and possibly heart) checked.”
    I watched a short plant walk by jim mcdonald and he says, “mullein leaves are really good for coughs and especially for dry coughs.”
    I can try to find some more info and possibly some recipes later tonight, if you’re interested. I gotta run right now, though! Hope you both start feeling better soon!

• H_D
    edited October 2018
    Stacy thank you for those. My colds always land in my lungs, they are my weak point, I've actually been taking mullein tincture and a lung herbal formulation since saturday, I credit that with my lack of any mucous or congestion. No need for more though, as long as I feel like this I can function and think..its those days where the fever got upwards of 103 I simply couldn't think of what herbs I needed, thankfully though my mom is a BCND :)
    Happy Healing
    Heather
  • Suzanne Thomas
    Suzanne Thomas Posts: 2
    edited October 2018
    I use a toothache plant flower for dental pain.  Bloodroot ground into powder and mixed with water is a good mouth rinse.  You can also use it as a toothpaste.  It eats bacteria and is very effective in keeping the mouth clean.
  • Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Heather, I had really bad perionditis, ended up getting the majority of my teeth pulled. I also had a bad experience with the dentist as a child. That's why my mouth got so bad. Your DH needs to find a dentist he can trust. They are out there. (I will tell you another time about my mistakes in agreeing to dentures) But check out https://orawellness.com/ They have an EO based mouth rinse that got me thru a lot of rough times. And my DH still uses it. Check out their Healthy Mouth Blend.
  • H_D
    edited October 2018
    there is one he may trust however, they are an hour away and to drive an hour not to know what if any relief he will have isnt something he will do.  On the other hand I can report the abscess has not needed to be drained in 3 days..pain has subsided not completely but significantly.  Lots of clove we used along with some other herbs in 2 different mouth rinses, colloidal silver and cannabis (topically right on the gum)is doing the trick.

thanks for everyones suggestions

heather