Methods for processing turmeric

DebiB
DebiB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
it kind of depends on what you use the turmeric for, how you want to use it etc. I store turmeric like ginger it lasts a long while, in the fridge or on the counter. you can dry them on the ground, in the oven etc. keep in mind the thickness of each piece..they should be mostly unified as so everything dries uniformly. the more the turmeric rhizome is processed and heated the less effective the roots medicine becomes. Personally it doesnt last long enough in our house to bother drying the root, we actually buy powdered root for things like smoothies and golden milk lol

Comments

• DebiB
    DebiB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks Heather,

Mostly I use turmeric in cooking or in tea.  I have been using it fresh but recently I found that some of the rhizomes have started to grow a white fuzzy mold on them.  I think they were in too moist of an area in the fridge so I’m drying the rest to save what I have.  From your description it sounds like the better of the 2 drying methods might be to just slice them and dry at a low temperature in my dehydrator
  • H_D
    H_D Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    i agree..low temp might take longer but you will preserve the medicinal properties for sure
    Happy Herbaling
    Heather