Want chickens but not sure if you can where you are?
The only way to know if it's legal for you to have chickens where you live is to do the research. If you don't know if keeping chickens is 'legal' where you are, you have to do some work.
I live in what is currently classified as a 'village'. When I got interested in keeping chickens, I had to check the zoning laws.
Off to the Village offices I went. And went again. And again. Seems there were no laws regarding the keeping of chickens in the village limits. Over multiple visits, the only thing we could come up with was the law regarding 'nuisance' animals. So the consencus became, no roosters, but hens were okay.
As our 'village' will attain 'city' status soon, I am hopeful that my work to research this issue will result in a specific law allowing the keeping of chickens.
Regardless of where you live, if there are zoning restrictions against keeping chickens, there is strength in numbers. If you live in an HOA, try to get neighbors on board, whether they want chickens too, or just want to benefit from your harvest. But also be responsible. Don't get a bigger flock than you can handle. Keep up on maintenance. Don't bite off more than you can chew.
There is a big trend in allowing chickens even in cities. But make sure you do it 'legally' and responsibally.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter