Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Incubator History...did you know? β€” The Grow Network Community
People of integrity and honesty not only practice what they preach, they are what they preach.

- David A. Bednar

Incubator History...did you know?

LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning ModeratorManitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 3,865 admin

Those are EGGS in there!

Very, very interesting. I would like to know how they turned that many eggs. The design looks similar to a mud pizza oven with a few tweaks. I tried to find possible DIY instructions, but didn't find any. I would be very interested in finding some and learning just how they work. I bet it isn't very complicated as people make DIY incubators all the time.

Comments

• JimersonJimerson Super J Pilot Point, TXPosts: 263 admin

Apparently they had workers turn the eggs!

From the article:

"A few rooms were used as accommodation for hatchery workers. Their main job was to monitor the fire and to turn eggs regularlyβ€”a crucial aspect of hatching. According to Phillip J. Clauer, an assistant teaching professor of animal science at Pennsylvania State University, egg-turning prevents embryo membrane from getting attached to the shell, which can lead to chicks hatching with deformities."

Really cool idea overall.

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 3,865 admin

I wasn't sure if they turned each by hand or had a method to turn more at once...that was what I wanted to know. One by one would take forever.

• JimersonJimerson Super J Pilot Point, TXPosts: 263 admin

By the look of the set up, I bet the turned them one by one. Especially if this is an ancient Egyptian technology; apparently they were no strangers to long and arduous tasks! πŸ˜…

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 3,865 admin

Yes, I am leaning toward a very manual system, but maybe they moved a rug and hoped some would roll the right way? I read that the success rate was not very high, and if it was a chance thing by rolling eggs in this way, that would make sense.

I could just not imagine being IN an incubator, rolling each egg. I guess it would be like a very hot & humid (and stinky) greenhouse. I wonder what health hazards existed because of this practice?

My interest would be in building a similar very much smaller version. I'm not doing it, just fascinated with the idea of an outdoor pizza oven incubator...

• GrammyprepperGrammyprepper Mamaw, retired RN, jack of all trades master of none Zone 5BPosts: 169 ✭✭✭

And there lies Laurie's REAL interest....she wants the outdoor woodfired pizza oven LOL! ;)

• cre8tiv369cre8tiv369 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

You mean to tell me pyramid construction workers were not fed pizza and beer? <gasp>

Oh don't you know it!!!

I actually have a free plan downloaded for a Pompeii oven from Forno Bravo. Someday I hope to see it come to fruition. Yum...Pizza, bread, slow roasted everything...