Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

AI & Robot update: job losses on the horizon - growing food more important than ever — The Grow Network Community
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

-Socrates

AI & Robot update: job losses on the horizon - growing food more important than ever

If you caught my interview with Dr. Kai Fu Lee on "AI and the Future of Food" you know that I am deeply concerned about the coming tsunami of job losses about to hit humanity. If you want to see that presentation - please let me know and I'll find a way to get it posted for you - put a comment down below. That Dr. Lee gave me (and you) the time to discuss the impact of technology on food is amazing (he is considered the Bill Gates of China).

Dr. Lee is very much supportive of the Grow Networks work and mission.

Yikes with all the crises we have impending do we really need another? LOL

Amazon employs over 631,000 people world wide, and 100,000 seasonally. They have been having labor issues - workers unionizing, etc. Of course, there are tons of complaints about how Amazon treats their workers...

Anyway, it should not come as a shock with the news announcements that Amazon is beginning to use robots in it's warehouses to replace humans. The technology is not quite there to replace the majority of workers (yet), but we all see how rapidly technology is advancing. There are guestimates that a complete 'lights out warehouse" will take about a decade (lights out because there are no humans)

Here is the original Reuters article that just came out: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-amazon-com-automation-exclusive/exclusive-amazon-rolls-out-machines-that-pack-orders-and-replace-jobs-idUSKCN1SJ0X1

Amazon is famous for its drive to automate as many parts of its business as possible, whether pricing goods or transporting items in its warehouses. But the company is in a precarious position as it considers replacing jobs that have won it subsidies and public goodwill. “We are piloting this new technology with the goal of increasing safety, speeding up delivery times and adding efficiency across our network,” an Amazon spokeswoman said in a statement.

Comments

• bmaverickbmaverick Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

The other day while driving home from work, I saw my first Ag Drone in action over a farm field crop. It wasn't controlled by a person with the joy-stick box in hand, nope, it was controlled via computer inputs from a Chevy pickup.

Now, replace the guy in the Chevy pickup with a central AI for Ag and this article gets very, very, very real and close to home!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agricultural_drone

• Marjory WildcraftMarjory Wildcraft ✭✭✭ Posts: 909 admin

wow @bmaverick ... thanks for posting. SIri, Alexa, drones.. yup it's happening' for sure. I asked Dr. Lee if he felt that backyard food production could benefit from any of this new technology. Like the little bot who weeds, or some sensors to help newbies know when to water... some of those are in development or even coming out to market. But a true AI that is really useful for backyard production? Dr. Lee said "no, that is not likely". The reason? There is not enough data points. AI's need massive amounts of data to learn.

• ines871ines871 zn8APosts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Marjory,

took a test to see how... (in the sick-management industry erroneously called 'health-care') there's anytime soon too many AI-job replacements, - and personally faired well & am protected because how I perform: Empower others to replace their 'sick symptoms', with Healthy beliefs, attitudes, thoughts, & thus actions. As clients improve their life quality, such step-Up successes naturally further encourages not only self but also others they associate with. I volunteer... that explains financial poverty. However, he that hath eternal life is rich in deed. --- No amount of AI can duplicate humanitarian Health progress.

Rather than 'mechanical' robots, the bigger concern is the all-out war against all life on planet earth including. 'cide': Oceans poisoned/irradiated along with ground-waters, Skies laced with heavy metals that kill forests & other vegetation, pre-birth abortions, Live-birth abortions, c-sections, cord cut too soon, untested vaccines by the dozens, infanticides, brain-washing & other medical malpractices, bactericide, fungicides, Insecticides, Herbicides, democide, 5G genocide, euthanasia, homicide, suicide. Too many humans bought into the evil doctrine of Planetary extinction. No AI caused those, & no AI can solve that mess.

This is a matter for good humans to decide to Abundantly live & why I thank you Marjory, & all others like-minded as we set the good example & bless life. Thank you all.

• Marjory WildcraftMarjory Wildcraft ✭✭✭ Posts: 909 admin

Hi @ines871

We are doing what we can - thank you for your kind words.

Is it hopeless? I don't know. But I am going to do what I can, and I think everyone here is also on this same path. It's why I love this community. We are do'ers.

• ines871ines871 zn8APosts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

The evil (unembodied) Entity behind the evils, I mentioned, appears to succeed & make all life on earth hopeless. --- BUT for the fact of another Entity: God will come & make things Right. When we are on His side, we too win... LIFE will continue, even better than most dare dream Abundantly... - I understand, because I too am doing what I can to the best of my abilities. Thank you for your good example & friendship :) Marjory