Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap

2»

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,623 admin

@Marjory Wildcraft What species are you referring to with soap berries? We have a species here called soapberry or known as buffalo berry in other areas. Its too valuable as an edible for me to use it as soap but I think you might be able to.

• heirlooms777
    heirlooms777 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft I tried soap berries years ago but could not figure them out.

i took a native plants walk in Michigan and the teacher showed us how to wash with a native plant. She took out some some water and actually lathered up with the plant. She said she would use it when out in the woods and taking a bath, and something else for the hair.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭

To make the dry laundry soap isn't very time consuming. The bars of soap are grated and that takes time. I have a separate grater for that. I have heard of soap nuts but not soap berries@Marjory Wildcraft . Once I do a batch it will last for a very long time. I am running out of laundry soap again and need to make another batch.

• snoek
    snoek Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

I've been using the following online recipe for several years now, due to being unable to buy any product which does not include ingredients which I react to :-

1c Soda Ash 1c Baking Soda 60ml Dr Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap few drops essential oils

Although I follow the instructions for making it (in a food processor), there are always large hard pieces in it which will not break up (should be a powder).

Also, our washing has turned grey - especially things like tea towels, & dishcloths : I have more recently tried adding sodium percarbonate, but it doesn't seem to be helping...

Has anyone tried Soap Nuts?

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you happen to know how big the boxes are? Started searching and found some item in several sizes.