What did you harvest today?

Comments

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Yum!, Yum, @Marjory Wildcraft - Good for you!

altho in our garden, over 80+% of goodies never make it into the house.

(as terrified to use a canner), mostly it all gets gobbled-up on the spot, lol - like here:

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin

Yup, I eat from my garden - a lot - everyday. I've been weighing it all - er, most of it 😉 so that I can report on the effectiveness of the entire project. But those strawberries and the cherry tomatoes ... nope, they never make it on the scale. Ha, ha.

• tammyrichardsmt9
    tammyrichardsmt9 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

Today I harvested some of the dill and the mints - spearmint, chocolate mint and peppermint.

• ines871

another 10+ pounds of seedless green Grapes (sorry, for once I can't find a photo), but also shared 4 pounds at the Fair on Friday, and 4 Master Gardeners & 2 Bee keeper friends all were impressed with "how deliciously sweet" they are. YUM...

• angelaclay509@gmail.com
    [email protected] Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft I am always amazed at how much the earth produces... and the growth of such a tiny seed... truly awe inspiring. Nice bounty!

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

It’s nearing the end of the season here. Although I will begin setting out leafy greens soon. Here is today’s harvest

• ines871

Hi @herbantherapy Good for you! - Please ID what everything is from left to right, for people learning.. Thank you :)

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@herbantherapy You have some very healthy plants. Good for you! I'm envious because all I have are some herbs in pots and they aren't very happy.

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

My garden here in California is very late this year. I am just starting to harvest my tomatoes. But oh are they delicious - so sweet. I feel that the extra wait made them taste better. I can't explain it but I am certainly enjoying my crop.

• herbantherapy

@shllnzl thank you. I can’t seem

to get the hang of veggies but herbs I can do!

• herbantherapy

Oops sorry I should have labeled.

Left to right in my pic above are:

chocolate mint, pineapple sage, rainbow chard, peppermint, basil, hyssop and redbor kale

• ines871

Hi @herbantherapy Thank you :) & that explains it: ID'd right the chard, peppermint, & of course kale.

But your chocolate mint, pineapple sage, basil & hyssop couldn't even guess. - Have yet to go to the Nursery where friends working there will ID what Herbs I've been growing for like 4 years, & they are now bushes... lol

Now Veggies & Fruits (Bushes+vines+even some trees) are kinda second nature, as my experience with these spans decades. --- Otoh, most herbs ? well you are miles ahead. Good thing life is Not a race 🙂

• ines871

Forgot to post in August re my yummy Cucumbers.

((Normally I only sprout & grow Open-pollinated veggies. So friends are shocked re growing non-Gmo hybrids (dare I admit that) but it's true. I just love to pieces the Sun Gold https://www.botanicalinterests.com/product/Sun-Gold-Cherry-Tomato-Seeds INdeterminate (growing over 8 feet in our garden) tomato I've posted photos here already. Talk about Sweeeet !! let's just call them divine LOL )_

Now the cucumbers are 'Suyo long'... https://www.rareseeds.com/suyo-long-cucumber/ how long you ask ? They say 'up to 18 inches'. Yeah, obviously not been in our garden, lol

okay the paper tape measure didn't cooperate, & in order to comply with Forum-rules, can only show you 1/4 of this photo (dimensions now 777by464). But this cucumber was nearly 6" around, & why did it only get an "Honorable mention" at the Fair ? get this: "That thing is way! too big" judges said.

Oh but it Never, ever gets bitter, or woody. Always stays Juicy+Sweet & the skin too is - well, you guessed it: These cucumbers too are "just divine" 🤗

Next photo: the longest Suyo long that yet grew in our garden, & be Amazed... even the 'official' Master Gardeners, & Orchardists friends...

• ines871
    edited September 2019

At phototime, my hand (for size comparison) is holding it up as it was still attached to the vine:

Have you ever grown any Cucumbers this big ? & no less in but a couple inches of soil. - Juicy & sweet to the last bite with skin intact. Your micro-biome will love these Suyo longs right along side with you 😀

We usually get about 20 cukes, well over 14 inches long, each year, in under 6 feet of space.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,518 admin

I just got done large apples, crabapples, juice and peaches.It is always nice to get those done.

• anectarine1
    anectarine1 Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

I’ve got some wonderful zucchini, yummy cucumbers and tons of tomato’s!

• ines871

Squash, especially the yummy Summer yellow Straightneck variety. -

And if you leave them, on the vine long enough... their skin hardens, & you get Winter squash. Somewhere around here is a photo with me Smiling offering you like 46 Winter squash, just like I do for our WCFS Harvest meals, & all thru the winter. In fact I have squash left each late Spring, just in time to plant yet more Squash seeds... the nutritional perpetual merry-go-round...

• Gardennan
    Gardennan Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

Today I harvested pole beans, banana peppers, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, and lots of muscadine grapes.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been harvesting Chinese red noodle beans. I am amazed at how good they are and at the abundance of growth. My first time growing them. Also today I got one lonely cuke. Better than nothing. Planted late. Waiting for my Gallilean Spinach, zuch's Big leaf Kale and Takane Red Buckwheat. I have been thinning the Buckwheat for the sprouts on sandwhiches.

My tomatoes are sleeping from the extended heat and now all the rain...Plenty of green Cherokee Purple and a few other species I grew this year. Getting ready to start my fall garden.

I sure wish someone would do a tutorial on doing carrots correctly. I have only grown them once before a long time ago. This time I have a bunch of diff types and can't wait to get started on them.

Happy gardening to everyone!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today was a large basket of comfrey, chives and hyssop. Tomorrow will be my rhubarb. my garden is very small currently. Finally got space cleared to put my garden in here. Had a large one at my last place. Just getting started on one here.

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I gathered persimmons today. This year provided some sweet tasty treats. I saw my goats were enjoying them, so I gave them a taste. Usually, I hit them with sugar and make preserves. This was my first taste right off the tree. TASTY!

• Foodgardenguy
    Foodgardenguy Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Finally our canning tomatoes are all coming in. Look at those tomatoes. We are really happy this year for the harvest!

• ines871

Awesome, more, & more, & even more! - just up, Up, UP, @Foodgardenguy 🤗 Good job!

• Foodgardenguy
    edited September 2019

@rainbow it's great to hear from you again.😂 I've really been busy outdoors and indoors, trying get canning activities in check. Around here the farming belt in Ontario, Canada...EVERYTHING IS ALL COMING IN AT ONCE!! My wife and I are busy....Busy...BUSY!! Hey...but this is the life....the life that God had intended all along. 😀😁😉😊

I took this photo of our own apple tree. There must be at least 5 bushels on one tree alone.

• ines871

Yup @Foodgardenguy - See... there is just NO limit to all of God's blessings... we are all so very Happy for you here in our group. - Look at all the Garden-knowledge you now can share...with yet others🤩 in your neighborhood. Good going!! 🤗

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

I have to post here about our dry beans that we grow :) We chose a variety called Turkey Craw for their ability to hold up through the canning process and productivity. I could not be more pleased with these beans! We have been growing them for five years now and saving seed for the following season. We only plant one 16 foot row, but this produces enough to keep us in beans for the entire year! We are nearing the end of our harvest for this year, but it looks like we will end up with over 5 quarts of dry beans from this alone :) Once we actually can these, it will translate to over 20 pint jars of canned beans to use - definitely one we will continue to grow in years to come!

• Foodgardenguy

@chimboodle04 I've never heard of Turkey Craw beans. Thanks for the tip. Do they have any unique taste of flavor compared to regular green beans?

• chimboodle04

@Foodgardenguy we do not use them as green beans (although I think you can...) - we leave them on to use as dry beans. They can wonderfully and hold their shape very well, so they are great for soups, stews, or can be mashed easily for refried beans etc... This is what they look like :)

• Foodgardenguy

@chimboodle04 ...Ohh....that reminds me of Pinto beans. I wonder if that is what they are?

• chimboodle04

@Foodgardenguy yes, they are similar to them :) A little firmer and richer than pintos in my opinion, but you could use them interchangeably :)