What did you harvest today?

Comments

• Foodgardenguy
    Foodgardenguy Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

@chimboodle04 Ok...great...I'll check these out.

• Foodgardenguy

Yet another bountiful harvest, this time it's PEARS. We're so excited!!😁

It's really hard to not stuff yourself during this time of the year, really, with so much produce being reaped in the fall. I mean I thought the Christmas holidays were hard, but I could say no to a lot of the stuff because I know it's unhealthy for me. But all this nice home grown healthy foods, it's really much harder. A little bit here, and a little bit there...maybe another bite...oh just a little more please...so stuffed with all this food to eat...🤣

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi again @Foodgardenguy - Boy, the last three posts you sent, are a VAST difference, from your thread only 5 weeks ago https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/842009/newbie-from-canada-help-a-big-challenge-problem/p2 in which you have two pages of "HELP! literally thousands of Japanese Beetles raiding our garden. Leaves disappear in a matter of hours. Some birds and/or rodents are eating our tomatoes both red and green leaving holes in them, but never finishing them. And the list goes on."

So in just a month, you now have bushels of tomatoes, & plentiful Fruit trees ? - Can you explain, please.

• Foodgardenguy

Yes @rainbow, it would seem that way. Our grape vines were completely clobbered, so I have no prized photos for that. Our prune plumb trees were clobbered in the same way, so no photos there. Those tomatoes that were taken earlier were inside our outdoor greenhouse. We lost about 30%-35% of our tomatoes outside to critters, and the plants look messy).

The Japanese beetles were ferocious for 3 straight weeks. Our three children accumulated literally container loads of them. We prayed, and the beetles and critters seemed to go away somewhat.

Here is a photo of our black berry bush that was also not affected very much, thank God. They are just coming in.

We also have limited Okra plants that are also coming in.

• ines871

Well @Foodgardenguy - it looks like you don't really have that much of an issue, then. - Those pictures show you to have WAY... way MORE food, than probably 90% of people posting here, including our family. - Are you retired? - and have lots of time on your hands?

Also, Why is the print in just this thread now Slanted to the right?

• Foodgardenguy

Hi @rainbow, I'm not too sure why all the letters appear in slanted italics now. I tried everything to get it back to normal font on the last post and this one, but I just can't seem to do anything about it. Even your last post appears with the slanted letters.

Perhaps @Jimerson might know why.

Your last post really surprises me. Do you really mean that? That we don't have much of an issue? That we have way more food than 90% of the people posting here? Honestly, it feels like many people here are having way more fantastic gardens than we are.

(Now, I must admit, the fruits on them trees are plentiful this year, and I don't really know if it's because we added a lot more woodchip mulch around the trees. We just followed the advice of Dr. Elaine Ingham that trees prefer a more fungal medium instead of bacterial medium.)

In the last few years especially, because of the surrounding commercial farms, we have noticed a LOT more pests and predators. There are a lot less bees and we hardly see any dragonflies. Even though my wife and I have about 20 years of gardening experience behind us, we are hitting a lot of challenges that we didn't have in the past. I'm not retired. My wife loves gardening and spends much more time in the garden than I do.

• Foodgardenguy
    edited September 2019

Very interesting....I write and everything is italics. As soon as I post, everything goes back to normal....weird!!

• ines871

@Foodgardenguy

Well, the 1st. three pages of this discussion is still OK, thank goodness.

Since this Italics problem only happened since your "pear-tree" post, maybe there's a bug/Virus in that picture??

Hopefully NOT, yikes!

• Foodgardenguy

Now everything is italics again. Hello @Jimerson , do you know what is happening? We cannot get back normal font anymore. Can you help?

• Teresa
    Teresa Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

Thursday my son thin the radishes so for our breakfast this morning I plan sauté them with my eggs.

• Gardennan
    Gardennan Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

Today I harvested 2 large containers of pole beans, green bell peppers, jalapenos, banana peppers and cayenne peppers.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today's harvest was pretty small. I cut rhubarb and saves some plantain seeds as we will be doing some dirt work in the area where they grew this year. We have had a couple nights now below freezing so we are pretty much done for the season here in Alaska.

• illbtru
    illbtru Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

This has been an amazing year for pears! All that rain an added fertility has produced a bumper crop of Kieffer pears. The size of some is outstanding. We had to thin our four trees of two hundred pounds of excess fruit. Some of the branches broke from the weight of the fruit.

Some of the fruit is double the normal size!

We can hardly wait for the pear butter and pies!!!!!!

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

dont feel so bad one year all that i did was harvest weeds! all but one had medicinal properties. as far as chamomile tea just dry the flowers and then when you want tea you can put about 2 tblspoons of dried flower in a steeping spoon or tea bag ( they have them for bulk teas) or just in your cup pour boiling water over and put a plate on top of your cup let sit for a few and strain if you left them loose. hope that helps

• ines871

Have said this often, but - who ever believed me telling the truth... re the fact that even in the PNW in quite a few years we are Harvesting BERRIES... yet into the Holidays... LOL

So tho we've had Temps in the mid-twenties 4 times already, still 3 weeks before Halloween,

just LOOK -

1/2 cup Raspberries for Breakfast just about daily . They keep me running... around, until Supper.

• ines871

Well sure as the weather gets colder, the harvests are fewer, yet yesterday our little PNW Raspberry (forest - as I call it) blessed us with yet another 44 of these Healthy Sweets for Breakfast... Thank you so much.

• ines871

Forgot to post this on 10-24, as this photo shows just 4 of the eight cucumbers still growing on two plants on 10/24/15. - Further ahead/East is the west-side of the same 'Sunsugar' tomato plant that today I posted in @Mary Linda Bittle 's Favorite tomato discussion.

See the double cement block in lower left corner for reference on how long & fat these cucumbers are while yet ever Juicy & sweet. Most Germans love "Cucumber salad using lots of parsley", etc

These 2 plants grew 18 inches from South house wall, on what I call "Tomato Lane" LOL about 40 feet long, so lots of other veggies & herbs call it "home".

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,613 admin

I know we have all this worry about Coronavirus, and financial markets going bezerk, and I believe we are just starting on the insantity with much more to come.

Growing, harvesting, and preparing food keeps me so happy and healthy, especially during these crazy times. The literal connection to teh Earth, it's a good thing :)

AND!!! Whoo, hooo

I just got to live a dream come true! I harvested February carrots! Well, technically I guess they are March carrots... I had heard of them yeas ago through Elliott Coleman - the famous greenhous guy up in Maine. He wrote about how they grew the carrots in the summer and covered them in the fall (heavy mulch). In the winter months in the ground the startches in the roots slowly turned to sugars. And when you dug them up in February (or later) they were the sweetest carrots ever.

Tom Bartels showed us how to do this last year at one of the Summits.

I've wanted to do this for YEARS. Living in Texas, it just wasn't the same... a lack of snow.

But this summer I had a Colorado garden and I grew a nice patch of carrots.

I intentionally left a group in the bed and mulched them well.

Whola! today I harvested a bunch. And they are SOOOO SWEET!

Totally worth doing if you live in northern climates. Plus fresh food in the winter time.

I couldn't wait to take a photo to show you... LOL and I am in the middle of cleaning them when I took the photo I was so impatient and happy to share! I am giving away delicious carrots to everyone I know I'm so happy about them.

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft yes it is a treat to do. we did this one year cause we didn't have the room to store all the carrots and beets, so we bought straw bales and took thick flakes after the first frost and laid it on top of the carrots and beet then put bird netting over so the straw wouldn't blow away. then as we needed them we would pull back the straw and harvest what we needed then put the straw back,

• ines871

Hi @Marjory Wildcraft - ok, since you are Offering to SHARE... your delicious S~W~E~E~T carrots, I'll be right over 🤩

oh yeah, slight problem -

We're in Puget Sound, & you're in Colorado ? - How many hours would it take me to drive to your house? lol - but THANKS for the thought...

• Marjory Wildcraft

oh yeah @rainbow that's a slight problem... LOL

But sseriously I've been having so much fun giving these away.

• Marjory Wildcraft

@nksunshine27 yes, it's a great way to store food without having to build a root cellar or anything!

• probinson50
    probinson50 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

First week of March and havesting wintered mustard greens

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today I harvested the last two bunches of grapes and two apples. The smaller one is a Golden Dorsett and the other one is an Anna.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭

This morning early I picked my first greens. I am thinning out so others can get bigger.

• dipat2005

This is what I just harvested. The green beans have only been growing since the middle of June and they have survived the very hot weather we had early in July and now.

• Marjory Wildcraft

Last week I got a bunch of those yard long beans I love so much!

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't harvested much lately. Harvested my last head of lettuce a few days ago. I have been trying to succession plant, but nothing has come up from what I planted a couple of weeks ago. Not sure why not. Except for the radishes. But they aren't quite big enough to harvest yet. I am trying very hard to get a winter garden going. I am planning on planting turnips in the next couple of days. I feel that I need to add a lot of compost to the bed, but I really don't have enough. May have to buy a bag of compost to work in to my beds.

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Garlic harvested. Also some peppers, tomatoes, Dragon tongue beans, strawberries, and ground cherries.

• dipat2005

Today I harvest 3 beets. The one that grew out of the ground is 2 inches long. The smaller beet is 1 1/2 inches long and also grew out of the ground. The third one was just large leaves about 9 1/2 inches long and 5 inches wide. I took pictures. The beets look a lot larger than what they really are.