food-Foresting

ines871
ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

We know that during the 1st. half of the last century the societal landscape of most of the continental U.S., or for that matter the world, was still rural incld. Europe, where I was raised. Nestled in mountains, were 100's of small villages with a main street lined with stone houses, surrounded by farms & gardens. - As a much smaller child, I recall asking grampa once "What makes our garden (it was less than 1/2 mile from the nearest forest) different than the woods ?". He knew i asked that because we went to harvest mushrooms, & berries, etc. in it yearly, so he said "We have more flowers, & many more kinds of berries, & fewer trees, & too the forest takes care of itself" <-what ? I quite liked that last part 🤩. Imagine it: Picture yourself in a forest where almost everything around you is food. A garden that grows self-renewing, self-fertilizing, & self-maintenance because plants are self-renewing perennials or self-sowing annuals, with almost no interference from us.

Next, got transplanted into the U.S., where grampa's Eden explanation got side-lined for way too long. So consider now, further back in history, & even today still thrive "food Forest(s)", see http://permaculturenews.org/2011/10/...-food-forests/ . And it's not more complicated because to create a fully functioning forest garden is DOable with even just one tree to serve as a Canopy, plus using companion perennial multipurpose plants intermixed to grow in a succession of 7-14 layers, growing a kind of 'woodland habitat' :

1. High tree canopy - like maybe a tall nut tree, or Mulberries

2. shorter trees - like maybe apples & pears

3. climbers - like hardy Kiwis

4. shrubs - like Hazelnuts, & soft-fruit bushes,

5. ground cover - like herbs & strawberries, & anything else you want

6. rhizosphere - like nitrogen fixing comfrey and Siberian pea

7. root crops - like maybe carrots, & native wildflowers

objecting, most people would say: yeah well, Hurrah ! for those with 2 to 10 acres, like for instance: 10 acre Forested or https://blogs.uw.edu/gonzalsa/2016/0...a-food-forest/ or Thriving 23-Year-Old Permaculture Food Forest - Happen Films

The former simply family-gardens, became more community-gardens, then Pea-patches, & out of staggering economic necessities since 2008, now are 40+ such "food forest gardens", the smallest of such just 35 by 65 ft. also here Map – Community Food Forests and best of all instead of back-breaking labor, it is intended to be fun... Further resources: The Natural Farmer: Spring 2002: Edible Forest Gardens - an Invitation to Adventure

All the above to say that "food-foresting" we began developing having 40+ useful plants at varying levels of development, waiting patiently...

to be planted in the ground so their beneficial roots can spread... so Please join this discussion... Thank you!

Comments

• Leediafastje
    Leediafastje Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Food foresting is a new term to me but, that is exactly what happens here. The most challenging part is changing my diet to accommodate harvesting and preparing/storing the bounty. Sweet.

• ines871

Hi Leedia, in the discussion on 'what did you harvest Today?' you added "we've enjoyed wonderful salad greens. Borage, Beet, Primrose, and Nasturtium leaves make a zesty, texture filled, flavorful salad. The dressings made with either parsley, oregano, sage or rosemary are fun toppers. Oh yeah, I am also currently harvesting, common chives, garlic chives and Chinese chives along with garlic scapes. Life on the farm is tasty! " - so it sounds like you don't have diet challenges, because you already ENJOY benefiting from >ground-cover< etc. healthy foods. 🙂 Good for you !

Food-foresting, or Forest-gardening the same thing simply Copies/mimicks the way a FOREST naturally grows. The only difference being you decide what will grow in your forest (be it 20x40 feet), or up to many acres should that be your opportunity. Here are 3 short movies explaining WHAT, & HOW is a Food-forest: Geoff Lawton is an original Perma-culture expert in it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCJfSYZqZ0Y . This couple aka DirtPatchHeaven (they moved around alot !) tried their hand at it too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oWdUFe1Idc , & one of the best 🤗 because James P in New Jersey actually in great detail describes how you too can grow a Forest-garden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjKvFNKgGNM

• ines871
    edited June 2019

since the natural formation of soil occurs from crushing of rocks onto the earth’s soil mantle by glaciers, and Volcanic eruptions that ADD minerals to the soil, - as the farmed soil is by plant-life used, then Each season as water runs over rocks & into valleys & other areas, the > SOIL is continually... RE-mineralized < --- But when this process is Interrupted by various factors (including foremost most people living increasingly further away from Volcanic affected farming areas), & making matters worse then only dump back in NPK, & even worse force the ground to be increasingly Toxic; - then people can not expect to Enjoy Vibrant Health as we did earlier plus our forefathers plus our ancestors.

As healthy MINERAL-rich soil, became increasingly unable to be 'pregnant' as it were, & worse UNfertile/barren, - the adding of NPK, & Compost to gardens (no matter how many feet deep) can not do how Volcanic eruptions Add minerals to the soil. -

That leaves people with a choice of ADDing Minerals in our diet, hence the by now oft-stated question: What specific form(s)? of each needed mineral are the most-readily... absorbed into the cell, which obviously is not the same thing as how Nature does it by GOD's original Intelligent Design. --- Yet God's TRUTH has the right to remain unchanged : ABUNDANT HEALTH is humanity's birthRight..., truly.

• Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

I have been working on a food forest garden for some years now.

I've got a hundred or so fruit and nut trees. I've got rows of strawberries under the trees. They used to be a carpet of strawberries, but it made it nearly impossible to mulch, weed, and pick. I've also got herbs, comfrey, annual vegetables, dwarf fruit trees underneath the larger trees [canopy].

One thing that changed my concept however were the birds here. I'm in Australia and the birds don't share....at all...So I had to cover in my area in an anti bird aviary. That meant I had to do it in 3 smaller regions [due to our council rules]

To mimic the natural means of replenishing the soil I get lots of free mulch. The Back to Eden garden philosophy. Building soil here is important, an the last 3 years we've had a drought.

I've put in some raised beds for annuals due to the drought also. Production is year round and I am in the process of building a small greenhouse for frost tender trees, including a cool climate banana.

• ines871

Hi Alison, Thank you for your comments: Impressed 🙂 with all you have achieved: so you've been at home in your spacious paradise for prolly many years. - One of our best friends a mere mile away, also created an (end of the block) kind of 'forest-garden' in but 7 years, & often as I visit try to hide tears of humility & admiration. - So my hat is off, to anyone way ahead with their Forest-garden. My grampa had an approx. 2 acre Forest-garden, that even with it being in Germany won him praise, - so I'm trying to become even 1/4 as good as he was. His little paradise was like heaven to all who visited there...

Family & friends say "But with 4 tough physical challenges you continually work to overcome, thru thick & thin you never quit. We snapped 100's of photos as your reminder... of how much progress you've made towards just this 1 , of your 4 distinct, goals. We admire you" - And never laughed-at, or worse misjudged me. We simply love each other as dear friends. - Alison, would you share in this conversation some photos of your own little heaven...? Others might also enjoy witnessing your inspiring dedication. 🤗 Thanks !

• egaa1959
    egaa1959 Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

Just love all this knowledgeable people. Now I have to plant another fruit tree and put my strawberries under.

I have Some Apple's that have stinging nettles under them.( keeps the neighbors kids from picking)

others have periwinkle or perennial medical herbs.

I Like to grow my greens under the cherry trees.

• mtview42
    mtview42 Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I’m another Australian working on a food forest and love the concept. My biggest challenges are keeping the chickens seperate when the understory plants are still young. At the moment , I have chicken wire around each food forest area and I have even clipped their wings, but they still get in! Would love to hear your ideas!

• drpclarke
    drpclarke Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

I have been studying the food forest concept for 2 years now and I started with 1 acre of my land to move in this direction. In the first year, I built a swale and put fruit trees with blueberries and raspberries in between as we as it surrounded with strawberries. It took me a couple days to build this swale and it cost me $500 for the equipment to build it. The main problem that I encountered in the South was Bermuda grass that grows like crazy. In year 2, I still am fighting the Bermuda grass and I will try to deal with it when it goes dormant.

In year 2, I increased my area of use to about 1/2 acre. I planted figs, persimmon, Chinese Chestnut, and a paw paw along with several nitrogen fixing plants. In the areas surrounding the trees, I placed silage tarps to kill everything underneath with solarization. This time I also place 5 rows to grow vegetables in including pumpkins, tomatoes, squash, okra, and cowpeas to name a few. The fruit trees are doing extremely well, but the nitrogen fixing trees are hit or miss. The veggies are all doing well, but the grass is also growing with the veggies. The silage tarps, however, makes it bearable to pick the tomatoes and everything else. When vegetable production stops, then I am going to cover those areas with silage tarps to kill everything. Once everything under the silage tarps is dead, then I am planning on pulling it up, covering the ground with cardboard boxes (you would think that I owned a packing store with all the cardboard in my garage), and cover the ground with wood chips. I plant put compost in a 6- 10 foot diameter around the fruit trees to begin to add the other parts to the food forest. Next year, I will add on to the space and continue the process.

• MarillynRatliff
    MarillynRatliff Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

I've enjoyed the comments on food forests. I've been trying to establish a food forest but I think it is closer to an edible landscape than a forest as there is much up keep. I too have bermuda grass to contend with and have more or less given up on swales and gone to raised beds to help control the weeds. I think the concept is still great and you can get a lot of edibles in a small space. I'm sure it will continue to evolve.

• Leediafastje
    Leediafastje Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

I feel fortunate to have acquired property in a working forest area. My goal ... to leave as much natural-edible vegetation in place as possible. The property came with Oregon Grapes, Red Huckleberries and Salal in additioon to Honeysuckle and Blackberries. I'm just starting the "how to identify mushrooms that will taste good and not kill you" dance 😉

I've added Blueberries, grapes, fruit trees, artichokes and medicinal flowers over the years. Guests tell me it's not any farm they've ever seen. They agree with Marillyn that it's more an edible landscape or park.

I'm just pleased to have so many people willing to share information that I don't feel alone in this venture.

Eat Green ... Eat Happy!

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Great thread! I have been interested in this for some time now. We have some native foods to harvest, plums, grapes, blackberries, etc. I have planted patches of Jerusalem Artichokes about the place, and perennial herbs in the flower gardens Has anyone tried horseradish and/or walking onions? I am wondering how they would fair under fruit trees.

• ines871

Hi @Alison - Replied to your wonderful response a month ago, but forgot to add the @ sign that Called for your return... Would you return please, I asked "Alison, would you share in this conversation some photos of your own little heaven...? Others might also enjoy witnessing your inspiring dedication. 🤗 " - Thanks!

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 11 ✭✭✭

Food Foresting is new to me also. Very interesting. I think this is great information, would work very well in a small yard in town also. We will be moving in the future; after we settle in our new place, I will have to plan out a new food forest! Thank you all for your comments.

• DeeperEating
    DeeperEating Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

I have a very small area that I am hoping to turn into a mini-food forest with urban apple, sunchokes, blackberries, strawberries, and herbs. I already have all of these growing but just need to rearrange them to help each other!

I have seen something like this in a very small area similar to mine and am hoping that I can emulate.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

One of my brothers and I started leasing two acres of former grazing land (that had been fallow for 40+ years) back in 2013 and our initial thought was to just create an edible forest garden. When we first arrived they had recently bush hogged and bull dozed so there were two large brush piles to the north and south. On top of that the soil was devoid of macro-organisms, light colored, and heavy. We started off with some native trees and some heirloom fruit trees (peach, pear, and apple), but needless to say the deer had other plans for the trees and none of them survived.

We broadcasted various native seeds over the years, put out lots of L-O-V-E and positive vibrations, had the land smudged (by a friend who is half Yaqui), and doused (by my brother) prior to the initial major planting of trees. Fast forward six years and as I have started to do an inventory and become more knowledgeable about plants, especially native ones I have come to realize that we have some of the following plants growing (some with our help) but most may have already been there but just needed the impetus:

• Yarrow
    • Wild Elderberries
    • Wild Senna
    • Eastern Red Cedar
    • Winged Sumac
    • Smooth Sumac
    • White Oak
    • Willow (still haven't identified what type yet)
    • Wild Blackberries (initially thought they were raspberries)
    • wild roses (at least two or three different types)
    • wild grapes
    • Hickory nuts (Pignut and Shagbark)
    • Sassafras
    • Tulip Poplar
    • Slender Mountain Mint
    • Hoary Mountain Mint
    • Cattail
    • Common Rose Pink
    • Common Persimmon
    • Partridge Pea
    • Pine (not sure of the variety yet)
    • White Ash
    • Purple Coneflower
    • Common Boneset
    • Sweetgum
    • Blackeyed Susan
    • Black Walnut
    • Common Selfheal
    • Queen Anne's Lace (Wild Carrot)
    • Pokeweed
    • Common Milkweed
    • Butterfly Milkweed

And many others that I/we have yet to identify! I added Flowering Dogwood this year, along with Black Locust, and black raspberries. I will add some annuals this Fall and also in the Winter to add to what we have as we strive to continue to improve the soil (and therefore health of the trees), bring back the quail, and more.

We call our work now restorative agriculture and are continuing to plant, broadcast, sow, and give L-O-V-E. It is a beautiful, serene place, that keeps the pollinators happy, along with other wildlife. We started to realize during this leg of our journey that this work is more important than us and that in trying to grow an abundance of food we cannot forget about the animals that live on the farm year round. I have come to the terms that our grazing animals are the native deer and wild turkeys.

• ines871

@Obiora E - was blown-away by your endeavors, didn't know how to respond for days. Excellent work there !!

Also, need to Remind myself, that just because others here are LightYEARS ahead of little me in our foodForest adventures..., does not mean this is a race... All my life I've set high LOFTY expectations for myself, but then when things don't come to Fruition as fast as I expected, - while watching yet others Already doing it, - I can get sad.

Some call our adventures "re-Wilding/UNgardening" hey this is apt as well see... https://news.yahoo.com/back-wild-ungardening-took-root-america-012337033.html

• Obiora E

@rainbow Thank you for sharing the article. I enjoyed reading it, but it did not include the national nor international "Food Not Lawns" movement, but it was cool seeing the article pointing to improvements in quality of life because of it. And speaking of "wildin't out" I am going to attach a document that my brother and I created about six years ago and just revised this year....it's called "Wildin' Out."

Be patient...things happen for a reason and there is no need to rush anything as when the time is right (and if it's meant to be) it will be. And remember that in growing plants, especially trees you will not see the fruits of your labor within the first year but rather it may take seven or more years to finally start seeing it.

For our work on the two acres we have been at it since 2013 and are just now starting to see some of the fruits of our labor, which has us excited, but patience is and has been key to keep us from giving up.

Good luck to you!

• ines871
    edited August 2019

Hi again @Obiora E

re: " in growing plants, especially trees you will not see the fruits of your labor within the first year, but rather it may take several years to finally start seeing it. " How True! - as I'm a member of a "Fruit-Tree society" which teaches the general public about growing all kinds of Bushes + Trees + Vines bearing fruits... & at least twice a year, & really anytime, we endeavor helping people learn. - Questions raised perpetually include: How long will it take for that or my (fill-in-the-blank) tree to make its fruit? - and too What's wrong with my (whatever) plant?; it's got something eating it? --- Now, the 1st. question is Easy to respond to. While latter questions need much more Details provided like for instance a Picture so we can Identify... what the critter is, etc. - before then explaining about Soil-Health, & Growth, & Tools, & Pruning, & Grafting, & Harvesting & Preserving, & so forth. As well as Inviting people to just Join the society as we have like 10 classes annually where we all continue learning. I joined this group in about 2014 as a passionate Long-life learner... 🙂

When I admitted : "All my life I've set high LOFTY expectations for myself, but then when things don't come to Fruition as fast as I expected, - while watching yet others Already doing it, - I can get sad ." - That "fruition" referred only to the fact that we 'desperately NEED holes dug' so the baby...Bushes + Trees + Vines can actually start doing what they know... Growing... as I mentioned in O.P. in June when I posted "waiting to be planted in the ground". Daily I ask the poor plants to BE patient - As far as me, I have waited 60+ years to realize 2 of my passionate goals, so I am patient enough.

Thank you for kindly sharing your PDF: of its 4 pages, re the last page, in 1 of many photos I shared here in the forum is a girlie sitting in a meadow & studying the bk. "Teaming with Nutrients" in a Yarrow-discussion. Too as a Homeschooling mom, our walls were lined with books in 2 main rooms of "our Little house on the prairie". - So I will treasure what you have additionally shared.

• Mark Mathews
    Mark Mathews Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

The idea of the food forest is fascinating! I live in USDA Zone 4 (walking distance to Zone 3) where we easily get to -30F (-34C) or colder in the winter. What are good sources of information on edible perennials that survive these temperatures? There are some apples and strawberries that I have already, so that's a start. When I peruse the resources I've found, I see lots of tropical perennials. Moringa trees really fascinate me, but alas, they won't live through October/November here. Thanks for your help!

• ines871
    edited August 2019

Hi @Mark Mathews

I do Not know - IF in TGN we are now allowed to even simply state what www-Resources are Available to help you. You can ask the www "Zone 3 food-Foresting plants" & I found 3 sites that look really good for zone 3. Additionally, you can check at https://www.worldcat.org/ the Catalog of many, if not most major libraries Globally... Wishing you the best 🙂

• Obiora E

@rainbow You are welcome and thank you for the clarification on patience.

• ines871

Hi again @Obiora E

As I saw your HUGE-list of plants, that honestly Overwhelmed me, so I forgot about you reporting you had Leased the land, but that after you had planted "some native trees & some heirloom fruit trees (peach, pear, & apple), the Wildlife had other plans for the trees & none of them survived." -

And then you listed your LONG wonderful 🙂 inventory. So were those other Trees in your inventory Volunteers... ?

Or did you plant them? - and most importantly how did you Water... two acres? - Am I understanding this now rightly ?

I ask because obviously I WANT to have our Baby-trees (still waiting in pots/prisons) to Also survive. - The only reason they are not, yet, in the ground: the 3 (of 42 necessary holes that need digging) that I managed to Hand-dig myself, are Woefully Inadequate... so did you use Motorized equipment to dig those holes ?

Thank you for helping however you can.

• Obiora E

@rainbow Yes we are leasing family owned land that goes back at least 150 years. I know that growing up I primarily saw pine trees--we allowed logging for many years as it was an integral part of the farm's economy--and it wasn't until the past six or more years that I have really started seeing the biodiversity that exists (not just on our two acres but the rest of the farm).

For the most part the trees were already there prior to our leasing of the land, like the Eastern Red Cedar, Sassafras, White Oak, Sugar Maple, Hickory, Black Walnut, Tulip Poplar, etc. And this includes the wild elderberries, wild roses (we have some growing in the forest and on the edges of the brush piles. We first started seeing the Winged and Smooth Sumac in the early Spring after we started leasing the land but I cannot say that I have seen them elsewhere on the farm.

For some of the plants, I know Yarrow exists elsewhere on the farm, as well as Goldenrod (at least three different varieties), Queen Anne's Lace, Common Milkweed, and Pokeweed. For many of the other native plants we purchased native seeds and broadcasted them in the Spring, Summer, and/or Fall. During the first year or two we didn't see much growth but in the last three years there has been a tremendous amount of new growth.

We do not irrigate. Many of the plants growing there are native and are drought tolerant, even plants that often times are looked at as not being drought tolerant. We are said to have high water tables on the farm so this could be a part of it too. I am not sure. We may water our transplants unless a rain is coming in the next day or so but otherwise we have chosen to not water. I look at it this way: if it's meant to be it will be and I allow Nature to take its course.

For our initial purchase of native trees from the Department of Forestry we heeled them in and it was about a year or more before we finally planted them. In the holes that we dug for the heeled in trees, we added Kelp Meal, Earthworm castings, banana peels, oat groats, molasses, and yogurt. We may have watered them after first digging the hole but not afterwards. We made sure the roots were kept completely covered and during that year when we checked on them we often saw new growth!

For the trees that we did transplant we did not use any mechanical tools. All of the holes were dug by hand. We have had a little bit of help but most of the work has been done by us two. It takes time but it's a labor of love from which you can eat the fruits of your labor.

Hopefully this helps to better explain things.

• ines871

Hi again @Obiora E - Thank you for returning with further Appreciated explanations.

RE "For the trees that we did transplant we did not use any mechanical tools. All of the holes were dug by hand. In the holes that we dug for the heeled in trees, we added Kelp Meal, Earthworm castings, banana peels, oat groats, molasses, and yogurt.

We watered them after first digging the hole but not afterwards. We made sure the roots were kept completely covered and during that year when we checked on them we often saw new growth! "

Tho (compared to yours, on no less 2 full acres), our inventory is tiny, as we have only about 6000 sq.ft. W, & 1000sq.ft. S presently used for Veggies+Herbs, & narrow 100ft. strip E (house-shaded), & last tho not least my 55ft. still mostly Floral rainbow N, & the huge piles of Woodchips, & Horse-doo sandwiched here & yonder.

Pleading...inventory: 40+ various Berry-bushes, & 14+ Fruiting trees. I weigh near110 lbs. & can't seem to get any he-man tool to cooperate, so to get all the 1000's (Arrrgh!) ROCKS out, I have to resort to a pick & my bare (surgery-Twisted) hand as every time I use gloves I end up hurting myself, even more.

Of the 7 amendments you used, we have everything but worm-castings. but Since the Aged horse-doo blessed-Flowers + Food-goodies earned us 88 Ribbons at state-fair's agriculture & horticulture exhibits thus far, I'm hopeful the doo will additionally suffice for whatever else the Bushes & Trees may need. - Maybe if you stay... with this discussion, I will at last get our poor Bushes & Trees into the ground.

• Obiora E

@rainbow I know that it's common practice to remove rocks from soil but truth be told as the rocks break down they become soil and also some of the minerals the soil (and in turn our plants have) comes from the rocks as they break down. I stopped removing rocks some years back when I started to realize their importance.

And my brother reminded me that the yogurt that he used was biodynamic and organic. I am not sure of where to find it but it may be possible to find in a health food store.

For your hand, you may want to use Comfrey, Stinging Nettle, Plantain, and.or Boneset as a poultice, infused oil, a tea infusion to aid in its healing.

Sounds righteous about the food forest that you are in the process of developing! You would be surprised about how many different and diverse plants that you can put into small spaces. I have no doubt that things will work out for you.

If you have any youth that live in your neck of the woods think about asking some of them for assistance while your hand heals in exchange for you teaching them something that may interest them.

• probinson50
    probinson50 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

I have just starting reading "Creating a Forest Garden - Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops" by Martin Crawford. Hoping to incorporate forest garden principles on my mostly wooded 6 acres.

• probinson50
    probinson50 Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

I have just starting reading "Creating a Forest Garden - Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops" by Martin Crawford. Hoping to incorporate forest garden principles on my mostly wooded 6 acres.

• ines871

Hi @probinson50 Phyllis, --- Per your Intro, since you have a no less 3-families homestead in NE Georgia, you should have no trouble creating a productive... Forest-Garden there. No need to only hope. As Many, if not all of you can help... in getting this Done 🙂

However, in our situation there's mainly just two Adults, 1 of which is paralyzed from the neck down for almost two decades, so this WHOLE Food-FOREST, along with the other five Major (yes 5+) projects, plus working to pay all the bills, Truthfully EVERYthing falls on my little shoulders... & since I weigh like 110 pounds, it makes it a totally-different challenge...

So, what with my 2 BEST friends keeps me going... ? ---> the "Success-alphabet" of which several versions exist. The best one I designed in a HEALTH class I taught as a Volunteer to 100's of others:

And as you too know: a true teacher lives... what they teach... so herewith the ABC of success...

A addicted? avoid negatives: places, people, & habits.Attitude, is yours positive ?

B be bold. BELIEF ,also, in your healthiest & highest self.

C cheer on... others too.

D dare to be unique in creativity. Don't give up, & don't give in.

E exude confidence.

F focus also on fun. Yes, you were made to enjoy life. plus friends are hidden treasures, enjoy life together...

G give your best. good or great? often this means going the extra mile.

H "Hi 5's" iow Encourage the best in others too.

I ignore anyone discouraging you.

J justice means you just live it. What? ... a helpful life of course.

K kindness is always in fashion.

L LOVE... (barely, far too little understood). Know this: You can only love others, to the extent that you love yourself.

M make it happen.

N nourish your body with the Essential nutrients because you have just 1 body, for life....

O open your mind to see the unseen... making up 99.9% of reality.

P passion: Find what you love & become an expert at it. Pioneer. The unknown beckons.

...(practice does not make perfect.) Only passionate+perfect practice does this. Leave a trail.

Q question everything. And too quitters never win, & Winners never quit.

R read, study & learn about everything you are passionate about in your life.

S stop procrastinating, & too Smile, more.

T take control of yourself in order to create a destiny you want.

U understand the value of telling exemplary stories.

V visualize vividly your dream & goal so you can make them reality.

W want it passionately.

X X-factors for success are already present.

Y *you* as youthfully... curious & sparkling with new ideas are Unique.

Z zero in on your goal target, & GO for it...

I am going for my many goals with all the passion I can muster, and Healthy passion is making all the difference...

Enjoy a wonderful 🤗 day everyone !

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

Love reading about everything everyone is doing. Just started on my food forest. An excellent source of information is my friend Sean Dembrosky. Go to edibleacres on you tube. He has a treasure trove of videos for information. Have been to his place and just incredible what he has done. Use a lot of native plants for his food forest. Thanks for all the info and to help keep me motivated.

• ines871

Thank you @EarlKelly - found his videos right here https://permies.com/wiki/101075/Edible-Acres-YouTube-Channel Too I noticed: "Sean & his partner Sasha" - Everything is easier when two+ Able-bodied gardeners share the load.

Too, this 5 year young "Cold Climate Food Forest" Tour (along with overhead shots of the entire forest.) in Bozeman, Montana in USDA Hardiness Zone 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr8eK8pgYKs - Things are growing there about Anywhere... 🤗 which I found rather Encouraging... for me, that she shows that (except for the Fruit-trees & "Comfrey under Fruit trees"), one does not need to agonize over "what to plant where" (the 1st. of 2 factors that held me back, the other: getting 20+ tree-holes dug). She also said "they" iow more than 1 person growing their food Forest.

She answered a guy's question re sheet mulching: "Cardboard is the first layer you lay down, in order to suppress grass. iow rather than digging up the sod, you lay the cardboard on top of the grass, followed by manure, straw, compost, wood chips : basically what's available in the moment! " - I have done this in the Veggie-garden, plus also to the North of my https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/comment/848229#Comment_848229 Continuing rainbows

Ok, so right now, I have big piles of horse-manure, & wood chips, & continuing compost, & this week for the umpteenth time (after working in the afternoon), I gathered by hand 20 big sacks of wonderful LEAVES, at my job. - So that they don't blow-away (into neighbor's yards), where... in my Available layers would these leaves best fit, for my soil's best benefit, do you know ?