Recycling nuclear waste into batteries - wow, this is very hopeful
Diamond Batteries Made of Nuclear Waste Can Generate Power For Thousands of Years
Within the past 40 years the US has amassed 76,430 metric tons (84,250 tons) of this waste. And this waste has a half-life of like thousands of years???
I've always been very concnered as most of that waste in the US is stored in 'ponds' right next to major river ways (for access to the cooling water). Talk about the potential for problems...
Scientists from the University of Bristol Cabot Institute are researching / developing a lab-made diamond that can generate electricity and is made from upcycled radioactive waste.
The batteries would have an incredible life-span.
Here is one of the best articles on the topic.
And snopes fact checker, says yes, this is real, but still very theoretical. So you won't e able to get one for some time.
But how hopeful!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter