Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Biochar — The Grow Network Community

Biochar

Have you used or made biochar?

Does it have to be charged/activated?

Do you mix it in with compost? Can you just "layer" it?

How fine do you crush it?

So many questions! We have a fire pit that mostly the boys use, then before they come in, they wet it down, which makes awesome biochar. It's really pretty and crunchy and I have several 5 gallon buckets full, but there's all kinds of conflicting evidence about mixing it with compost or charging it with "stuff" (various complicated recipes with various ingredients) for 2 weeks, etc.

I have a large 30 gallon trashcan full of compost tea that I could soak it in and I'm pretty sure I remember David the Good just crumbling it on top with some compost and slightly raking it in. I don't recall him charging it. Have any of you made/used this and what method did you use and what were your results. The last thing I want to do is to steal nitrogen for a year (but then I heard for several years after that, the soil and benefits are awesome). I'm wondering if waiting til fall would work, so it can soak in all winter.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• CherlynnCherlynn Posts: 144 ✭✭✭

I have a bag of it and was told to just mix it in with my organic matter. Haven't had a chance to try it out this year but the next growing area I will add it in.