Tincturing fresh herbs - how much alcohol do you need?
@bmaverick and I were just discussing the differences in making tinctures with fresh versus dried herbs.
I just had a conversation with Susun Weed and she was literally raviong about the increadble difference - better quality - when you use the fresh herb. So if you can do with fresh, go for it!
With dried herbs I generally use a 80 proof vodka - which is 40% alcohol. Susun reminded me that fresh herbs have a lot of water in them already, so the mixture will 'rot' if you don't have more alcohol in it. I need to use a much higher alcohol content. But I forgot the number... LOL! I think shed the equivalent of 160 proof, which is 80% alcohol. Is that correct?
What's your experience?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter