This will be my first year harvesting yarrow -- I've grown it, but have just recently gotten into learning about all the herbal/flower benefits to use medicinally. I've used them in my soaps, etc., but I let someone else harvest, dry, etc. and then I bought them.
I have plenty and it's in bloom and the leaves are fragrant when crushed so I'm pretty sure it's ready.
Do I separate the leaves and the flower heads and dry separately?
I believe, the leaves are best for tinctures and the flowers more for teas/decoctions/washes.
Also, when is it best to use fresh or dried -- I believe if I use fresh I need Everclear.
Any insight is appreciated.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter