It's been years and years since I got into chiggers.. But, I went walking with my dog through a lovely field yesterday, and it seems that I inadvertently fed a pack of chiggers while we were out there too.
Past me would have slathered on hydrocortisone.. but I've since learned better and avoid even a bit of steroids if at all possible.
In somewhat lucky timing, I also accidentally broke off a piece of my aloe plant. So, I've made up a little aloe gel from the insides of that limb, mixed with a drop of peppermint essential oil. This helps pretty well, but the relief doesn't last more than an hour or so.
Is there anything you guys might suggest for longer-lasting bug bite itch relief, and maybe something to help them heal quickly too?
I have a feeling this is going to be a common occurrence for me now, so I'd love to have something I can make up a batch of and keep on hand.
Now, I'm going to go re-watch that herbal bug repellent presentation we just offered, haha, and get some made so I'll be better prepared for the next walk! 😅🐺
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter