Horsetail ? extract, or Bamboo leaf tea for Silica, Bone & other benefits
New to both plants, read today that while Horsetail averages 8% organic silica, Bamboo leaf contains an whopping 70% organic silica. That's like 10x as much!
Silica is the most abundant mineral on earth. We know that silica content is high in the strongest tissues of the body, including the arteries, tendons, ligaments, connective tissue, collagen, skin, nails, hair, and teeth.
Bone collagen is reported to increase with silica supplementation, and the mineral appears to strengthen the connective tissue matrix by cross-linking collagen strands. Dietary silicon appears to increase the rate of mineralization, particularly when calcium intake is low. A concentration of silica is found in the areas of active bone mineralization, & silica combines with calcium in the bone-building cell. Overall, silica plays an important role in initiating the calcification process, thus helping us to maintain strong, flexible bones.
Silica/silicon is plentiful in plant-based fibrous unprocessed foods:
- Banana (yellow, peeled), 250g - 13.60mg
- Raisin (California seedless), 100g - 8.25mg
- Mineral water (high silica), 500mL - 7.23mg
- Green beans (cooked), 250g - 6.10mg
- Carrot (raw, peeled), 200g - 4.58mg
- Brown rice, 200g - 4.14mg
- Mineral water (regular), 500mL - 3.44mg
You can't let bamboo go wild, as it will quickly take over the whole place; maybe grow it in cement? 😀
What do you think? - Have you ever grown bamboo? - And better yet, do you enjoy strong flexible bones?
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter