What kind of mushroom is this?
We found this mushroom up in the Colorado high country, and collected it because my husband is pretty sure it's the same kind he saw some strangers collecting to cook with. BUT, as we all know, all mushrooms are edible ... but many mushrooms are only edible once! We don't want to cook with it unless we're 100% sure it's safe to do so, and unfortunately we don't know anyone in our area who can give us a positive ID in person.
So, we were wondering if anyone on here would know for sure, and whether you feel like a positive ID on the Internet is enough of a safeguard for us to eat this mushroom. We believe this is a Hawks Wing mushroom (Sarcodon imbricatus), which is edible and found in the mountains of Colorado. Can anyone confirm this? And, do you know if there are any poisonous look-alikes?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter