Planting by the Moon

I'd heard of moon planting years ago and dismissed it as hocus pocus! How wrong was I. Over the last 2 years it has been my go to chart, after some research and gee I'm glad I did. The moon is one extraordinary celestial being with its gravitational effect on the tides, weather and nature in general. By using my moon planting calendar, I have experienced better germination of seeds, increased transplant vigor of seedlings and that leads to increased yields. Has anyone else had this experience? If you don't use this practice then maybe you should give it a go. It works anywhere on this planet. I have mine on my fridge door, so it's always in my face!

Check out www.moongardeningcalendar.com.au to get all the details on how this works.

Comments

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

I've always wanted to do this, but never managed. Glad to hear you had such good results, maybe I will try again this Spring :)

• Melody Castello
    Melody Castello Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

My grandparents always planted by the “signs” as they called it. So I grew up growing/planting this way. So many things have been lost - planting by the signs, homemade medicines, etc. It makes me sad and regret that I didn’t write down or record all the wisdom on my ancestors while they were still here.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

I agree Melody, wish I'd taken more notice. When I was younger, thought i was bullet proof and knew everything. I wish I'd given myself an attitude adjustment back then, instead of now. But i guess thats life and maturity. We can learn it from others on the Grow Network!

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

I first started planting by the moon via biodynamics calendar about 17 years ago but stopped and then picked it back up again three years ago when I started working part-time on a permaculture farm. However with the biodynamic calendar it takes into consider other celestial bodies not just the moon so it is more comprehensive. I use stella Natura Calendar.

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

My grandparents planted by the moon. They always enjoyed success.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

I've planted by moon and signs for years with success. There have been times when something has to be planted or transplanted regardless of moon phase or sign and I have seen a definite difference. The old ones planted that way.

• smockv
    smockv Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

As I read through the comments, I have to say that I am having the same feelings. I wish that I had paid a little more attention when my grandparents were teaching me how things should be planted, fermented, "put-up" etc. We as a society have gotten away from the "old ways" and are now suffering that information loss. I recently found some of my grandfather's seed lists and a planting journal; I look forward to perusing it all during Fall/Winter and putting it to use in the Spring!

• circleoflifeunlimited
    circleoflifeunlimited Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

I think there is something to this also. Feels like I get more tuned in as I watch the planets, etc. I've been practicing organic gardening and permaculture for awhile, and this year I am diving into biodynamics. There is a lot of info in biodynamics about the planets and the moon, as well as other aspects to tune in to! Always so much to learn!

Kathryn

• Melody Castello
    Melody Castello Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

Smockv. How lucky to discover such a find. Enjoy reading and hopefully learning from you grandfather.

• John
    John Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

My grandmother always paid attention to this-glad it is still out and about. :)