Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Freezing Eggs — The Grow Network Community
He who plants a garden, plants happiness.

- ancient Chinese proverb

Freezing Eggs

Two years ago when I was up to my eyeballs in fresh eggs, I decided to try freezing some as an experiment for preservation for use during the downtime of winter.

Being that I make a frittata most weeks, I chose to do a dozen eggs at a time. So I lightly whipped them up, some I added a bit of sea salt to and others I didn't. Into a freezer bag and the freezer they went. Yes, there are better options for this but it's what I used at the time :)

Make sure when you thaw them it is in the frig only, and on something to contain any leaks. Ask me how I know.

From there, use just ask you would fresh eggs. Literally. While the thawed out eggs look really odd and you don't think they would ever cook up 'normal', they do! I use them to make the aforementioned frittata as well as scrambled and you would never know in taste, appearance, or texture that previously frozen eggs were used.

Even one year old frozen eggs work perfectly fine. Again... I was doing a lot of experimenting. ;)

Tagged:

Comments

• GardennanGardennan Central NCPosts: 47 ✭✭✭

That is great information to know. I have been wondering if they would have the same taste and texture. Currently I have 11 dozen eggs in my refrigerator. I think I'll try and freeze a dozen tomorrow. Thanks for the tip😁

• Marjory WildcraftMarjory Wildcraft ✭✭✭ Posts: 732 admin

wow, I would have never thought of that...

• tonya.beechtonya.beech Molly Posts: 5 ✭✭✭

Great to know!! Our chickens just started laying so very excited but we are getting a lot per day. I think we got too many but they were soooo cute! How can you resist!

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 1,513 admin

We have done this as well. Whipping is important. We added nothing extra.

Some people put them in ice cube trays, but we put 2 at a time in a bag instead. We use a lot for baking as well as eating as eggs, so freezing 2 at a time was our choice. We could scale up as needed.

Supposedly they are at their best (nutritionally) up to 3 months frozen, but we used them past that time frame with good results.

• bejer19bejer19 IllinoisPosts: 59 ✭✭✭

This is a great tip! I don't have chickens myself just yet but have friends that often give me their extras and it can get a little wild. Does anyone have experience freezing quail or duck eggs as well? Are there any differences?

• Ronda JonesRonda Jones Posts: 3

We currently only get between two and three eggs a day. When our six pullets start to lay, I will be using this method for sure! :)

• WendySueWendySue Posts: 28 ✭✭✭

Thank you for this info! I was just thinking about this a couple days ago. I don't have chickens, but I can buy really nice brown free-range eggs at a local all natural store. I eat a lot of eggs, and some weeks it's my main staple....I just crave them. It's great to know how you do it.....thanks again!

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 1,513 admin
  • tammyrichardsmt9tammyrichardsmt9 Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

We use ice cube trays to freeze our eggs. I have used them for baking and for scrambling. It is a great way to keep extra eggs and to have good eggs when they stop laying in the winter.

• JOBallingerJOBallinger Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

I have never frozen eggs but we are experimenting with preserving eggs using hydrated lime. It has been a few months now but we are waiting until Winter to try them out.