Helpful phone apps for identifying wild plants

I just moved here from Michigan to Virginia. While I was an avid plant watcher and pretty savvy on what grew in MI, being here in Va an two higher grow zones I am finding a bunch of plants that I have no idea what they are. I downloaded the phone app Plant Snap - and am very disappointed with it. It rarely identifies anything correctly for me. Do you have a favorite app for identifying plants? I don't mind paying a few dollars for it if it's accurate. Thanks!

Comments

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't come across a reliable app. I use books, Peterson Field Guides is always the first I reach for. Then my individual state guide, in my case Arkansas. Virginia is a wonderful state to learn plants (lived there ten years), so much diversity, the learning never ends.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

I tried Plantnet and found it hard to use. I'm pretty computer savvy but couldn't figure out how to get it to work. So I can't comment on the accuracy. But maybe this will save you some time...

• DeeperEating
    DeeperEating Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

I've tried Seek by iNaturalist but found it really only gives me information I already know. It will get me to the plant family but not help me do specifics. I'll admit I haven't used it extensively so perhaps if I was in a brand new place it would be more helpful in point me where I need to go?