Oh Nooos! Pasty butt!

We have been having trouble regulating the temperature in the brooder box this go round. I think we have a handle on it but 4 of the chicks developed pasty butt. So I had to take care of that this morning, gently soaking it off and then pat dry followed with a little Vaseline around the vent. We will start giving them a scrambled egg in the mornings and a little plain corn meal for grit to help prevent it in the future. That has always worked in the past, but I was wondering if anyone had any other tip for prevention?

Comments

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

I've read pasty butt is caused by lack of the bacteria the chicks naturally pick when hen raised (pecking the mom's droppings). As I've only have hand raised chicks have the problem that explanation, it seemed valid.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I have also only noted it with hand raised chicks, most articles indicate it is temperature fluctuations. Well those are't good for chicks any ways. We did some more research and have started adding ACV to their water, so far have not had any re-occurrence. They are growing like little weeds!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

Factors:

•Being cold also can be a factor.

•Other chicks bullying so as to not let one eat can be a cause. This can lead to green poop which is a VERY serious condition. I had this in one chick in one of my hatches this year. Unfortunately, we had to cull it after it went further downhill after a brief uphill swing. I caught it just a bit too late.

•I also found poorly formulated (feed store bought) chick feed that contained soy also gave issues. This last one was my biggest factor so far. After giving better feed, there are less issues.

Helps:

•As stated, being exposed to adult droppings does help according to some. I have not found any connection to this in my experience. I tried adding mature droppings to my brooder with no apparent benefit. I am sure it could be beneficial anyway, but I think it is an overall exposure to poop, dirt, etc. that makes the difference.

•A bit of apple cider vinegar (1 tsp) in 1 gallon of water (as you discovered) will help prevent & clear the issue in addition to cleaning the vent. I always offer this from day 1 through the first week.

•Of course, checking your feed for odd things such as soy would be in their (and your) best interest.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, culling is the worst, we have had to do that a few times in the past for various reasons. So far with this batch everything is going OK.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

That is good to hear! 😊