Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Guerilla Gardening — The Grow Network Community

Guerilla Gardening

AlisonAlison Posts: 99 ✭✭

Has anyone tried Guerilla Gardening?

We are in our 3rd year of what many are saying is the worst drought in living memory. We've had less than 1ml of rain in the past month; and that was accompanied by gale force winds.

Due to that I am looking at various ways to produce enough food in the most practical and efficient way.

One of those ways is Guerilla Gardening...finding a suitable spot on 'common ground/ land' and simply planting some seeds.

Today I went to a place that I've walked to with my 2yr grandson reasonably frequently. I found around 8 sites and dug a small hole. I planted one of two varieties of pumpkin seeds in each hole.

What I found was the soil looked for the most part very fertile. Even without rainfall almost all the sites I dug in were nice and moist. I have a lot of hope that the seeds will germinate in due course.

The area isn't in a spot where there is frequent foot traffic by people, yet wombats seem to have trails through there, and I noticed wombat poo scattered about...actually, as I had taken my gloves, in one site I put some over one of the seed beds....

On my walk home I noticed a few more overgrown areas that seemed fertile and unkempt. These were a little closer, so I am considering putting some vegetable spaghetti in there also. If people happen upon them and pick them I am not necessarily worse off as I am using seed saved from other harvests, and that I have an abundance of. I don't have any intention of watering or tending to the seeds, simply going on our regular walks and wishfully watching to see what results come to pass.

Whether rabbits, wombats, other people, or we have a harvest, I believe it will be an interesting and valuable gardening and life lesson.

Happy Gardening and Experimenting!

Comments

• shllnzlshllnzl Southern UtahPosts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck. Let us know how things turn out.

• Obiora EObiora E Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

I did some Guerilla gardening about 13 years ago and have only done it a few times in the past six years. I was given some seed bombs the first few times that I did it and just threw them out in a public spot to allow them to germinate and do their thing. In the past six years I primarily broadcasted native seeds in the Winter (on top of snow) and also during a hard freeze so that the seeds could be stratified and would germinate when the time is right.

• RICHARDRICHARD Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

I'm a fan of "seed bombs" for many things. Mostly flowers, but I have been known to include a few sneaky food items into the mix. The hiking group at my church will spread seed bombs that include native wildflowers and nitrogen fixing plants. Not great in terms of harvest, but at least the bees get a chance to eat safely. You might want to consider "SPIN" gardening. Small Plot INtensive using someone else's property in exchange for a share of the harvest.

• AlisonAlison Posts: 99 ✭✭

SPIN gardening sounds interesting. I have full time care of my 2 1/2 yr grandson, so time to go elsewhere and needing to take him is also a challenge.

Not tried seed bombs but have heard of them. Due to drought I've been more focused on sustaining productivity re: food harvest. Sounds like a child friendly activity for when my grandson is a little older though.