Repurposing Pallet Wood

chimboodle04
chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Wanted to share the newest completed project at our house - our new compost bin system made from 100% free oak pallet wood - all this cost us was time and a box of screws :) Anyone else have a pallet project to share?

Comments

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

That is nice!!

• chimboodle04

@merlin44 Thank you!

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! - Ingenious idea. Plus persistently Excellent @chimboodle04 work

Yes I too have used FREE pallets, so far as mainly Strawberry planters, with photos. - But I don't want to detract from your thread here.

Be proud of yourself 🙂

• chimboodle04

@rainbow I would love to see pictures if you are willing to share! Exchanging some repurposing ideas and projects is what I was hoping to inspire :) Thank you for your compliments :)

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I have several animal enclosures constructed of re-purposed free pallets. I love those things!

• drpclarke
    drpclarke Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

Great job with the use of pallets. I have used for several projects. Like you, I have used pallets for compost bins, but not to the quality that yours are. The first thing I used pallets for were to break down and build raised beds. I used a reciprocating saw to break down without having to pull out all of the nails and then I used the wood to build the beds. I also used pallets to build my chicken coop and the base of the coop was also a whole pallet with hardware cloth for protection for the chickens. I am on a journey to build a storage building out of pallets for my tractor and other garden and landscaping equipment.

• dianne.misspooz
    dianne.misspooz Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

Great job! I've been thinking and thinking and thinking of building a pallet composter but have been putting it off. You inspired me! Thanks :)

• chimboodle04

@drpclarke Thank you :) I would love to see pictures of some of your projects! The only other thing we have built so far from the pallet wood has been a rabbit hutch - A coop is in our near future and we would like to use pallets again to save on costs. We are also going to use some pallet wood on the potting shed we are planning as well- gotta love recycled and free :)

@dianne.misspooz Thanks so much :) I would love to see a pic once you get started! :)

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

We built our backyard fence from free pallets!

It’s getting painted grey next month❤️ Some of the bigger gaps got chicken wire so my dog doesn’t attempt to squeeze through. It might look tough in some yards but it fits into mine perfectly!

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

Love seeing what everyone is doing with free pallets. Impressive. Everything looks fantastic, keep up the good work.

• jjocean
    jjocean Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

Pallets are a great source of free hardwood. One should be aware that some pallets are treated with Methyl Bromide which is a restricted use pesticide of high toxicity. Pallets should be stamped with either HT or MB. The MB designation refers to treatment with Methyl Bromide. The HT is high temperature and from my perspective is safe for use. They may also be designated as Bark Free - (nothing to do with dogs). Bark free, HT labeled pallets are the ones I use. I also avoid ones with oily or unknown residues.

Just a thought....

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

Thanks @jjocean for explaining the HT/MB distinction.

• Chris A.
    Chris A. Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

Everyone has great uses for pallets ... enjoy seeing the creativity. I use them to stack my hay on for the winter to keep it off the ground and also to let the hay breathe better. I have also used them for fencing in a pasture type setting. I don't have pics as I have taken them down again to use for other projects. However because it was a long straight pasture fence I screwed them together with every other one at right angles to create stability so the animals couldn't push them over. Works great for pigs and goats. The ones jutting out at right angles gives them a place for scratching and rubbing (goats and pigs are famous for that!!)

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Beautiful composter!

We reuse pallets for many things. Compost bins, getting the hay off the ground. For furniture projects, my husband meticulously seperate the wood and re-planes it. :)

• chimboodle04

@Hassena Thank you :) I would love to see pics of your furniture!

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

We are just finishing a fence around the yard, upper field area. Hoping this will slow the bear down. He has walked thru the pasture fence 8 tx.

• bmaverick
    bmaverick Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

Great ideas. Love them. Just know that you know the source of the pallet wood. Pallet wood is sprayed with insecticides and treated with chemicals to prevent mold just to name a few toxins.

It's best to know the country of orgin and what the pallet was used for.

There was a good source we had found living down south. Today, I've not found a source up north to even consider.

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

A good source of pallets is a stone yard if you are near one. Most only use them once and they usually are made locally. Nice hardwoods from your area. The small pallet mills don’t spray them or treat them at all. I would stop and talk to them and see what you can come up with. Happy hunting and hope this helps.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have built many things using pallets. Our coops, their runs, a small greenhouse for an elderly neighbor used pallets as the lower walls and floor, fencing around a pig run area, a large firewood storage shed and current projects include a shed/workshop for our tractor and an outdoor kitchen work area. We love pallets for all kinds of projects..