Vegan Style Banana Zucchini Bread
Yesterday, I made Banana Zucchini Bread for my colleagues. I got the recipe from YouTube. One of my colleagues was vegan so I could not use eggs in the recipe. What I did was substitute the egg for for chia seeds mixed in water. When mixed with water, chia seeds congealed to form a gelatinous substance making the mixture look slimy and slippery. Hence such a mixture can be used in place of eggs. After the bread was made and ready to eat, my colleagues were amazed on how scrumptious the bread was. My secret was that I used more bananas that was required in the recipe. Here is the recipe:
- 1/2 cup sugar (substituted with powdered sugar)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (substituted with organic honey)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (any oil with do)
- 2 bananas (I used 4 bananas instead)
- 1 egg (1tablespoonful chia = 2 1/2 tablespoonful of water. Mix together and wait for it to gel up)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (Any extract will do. In this case, I used hazel nut extract)
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (1 large zucchini)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- pam cooking spray (can substitute with olive or vegetable oil)
- parchment paper (Can substitute with wax papper)
- loaf pan
-Peel bananas and slice then. Keep a few sliced bananas aside for garnishing. As for the rest, smash them to the side of the bowl. Add the white sugar/powdered sugar, brown sugar/honey, oil of your choice, and egg/chia seed gel egg. Mix all the ingredients together and make sure that you add the vanilla extract/any extract in the end. Keep to the side and mix together all the dry ingredients : flour, cinnamon, baking powder & soda, salt. Keep the bowl of dry mixed ingredients to the side.
Next, using a grater, grate the zucchini to measure out 1 cup and chop the walnuts to measure out 1 cup.
Put the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients (in 2 batches) and mix together thoroughly. Do not over mix the batter to prevent the batter from being too tough. Next, add the shredded zucchini and chopped walnuts and mix thoroughly.
Line the loaf pan with parchment/wax papper and line the papper with Pam cooking spray or oil. This will make it easier to remove the bread when it is done baking. Smooth out the top of the batter.Then garnish the top of the bread batter-in-the-pan with the banana slices that were kept aside, in any style that you want.
Heat the oven to 350 F. Once the oven is preheated, bake the banana zucchini bread batter in the oven at 350 F for 40 minutes. Check if it is done by sticking a knife or toothpick inside the cake and pull it out. if either is sticky, it is not done. If it is not sticky, it is ready to be removed. Let it cool for about ten minuted before the bread is removed from the parchment/wax paper.
Enjoy to you hearts' content. I know my leagues did😁.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 508 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter