Rooster eye infection, what to do

I was not sure where to post this.

One of my good roosters was pecked in the eye (or got something in it) and now has a huge yellow infection in it. I considered poulticing it with plantain, and maybe something else, but can't for the life of me figure out how this could be done on a rooster's head. Any ideas?

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eye patch with Velcro bandage?

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

Try colloidal silver, a few drops as many times a day as you can manage.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

An eye patch. Hmm. I know where to get one. I would probably be better off making one (cheaper & smaller) in case he scratches it off.

I don't have colloidal silver. What would it do in this case?

• shllnzl

A saline solution without preservatives should be safe and would soothe and irrigate the injured area. I have only seen colloidal silver for sale online. Your plantain idea would be the best bet for the infection. You could check Dr. Jones' website for info. I don't know if you are familiar with him but he teaches the Making Herbal Medicine course for this site. He is both herbalist and vet. His website is www.homegrownherbalist.net. He may have helpful information there.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

Colloidal silver is a antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory liquid available in health food stores and can be home made. Particularly useful in cases such as your rooster, when exact cause of injury or infection is unknown.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@shllnzl I had already left the same question on Doc's forum. I appreciate his knowledge.

@merlin44 Thanks for the clarification.

• LaurieLovesLearning

Well, the infection had been getting steadily worse for weeks. On that one side, it was extremely swollen with yellow pus. As much as it looked bad, his behavior was okay, although obviously he could not see out the infected eye.

Today, we went to finally treat him. It was messy with lots of splashes as he tried to get the liquid off his head. 😅 We decided to use a saline solution and water rinse, then we were going to put oily Fiskes on it as it takes care of infections and should cling. It has 4 essential oils in it and was developed in Nova Scotia, Canada. It is all natural.

Once we took him out of his special pen, we noticed that all of the yellow infection & swelling was gone. We could see his eyelid blinking again. His eye still is not fully clear and the eyelid still only partially opens. We did as above, without the Fiskes, just in case somehow that eye might still be able to see. We will need to continue to watch him and observe if his eyesight is fully gone, partial or will be full.

So, it is good news!

• shllnzl

@Laurie Glad to hear the good news.