Seed Storage

Alison
Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

I believe that it's very beneficial to save seed whenever possible or practicle. It not only saves money, but it also gives an extra level of insurance in relation to 'food security' and diversity.

With the Svalbard Global Seed Vault in mind years ago I began to store all of my seed in the fridge. It can be a bit challenging sometimes as I tend to be a bit of a hoarder when it comes to seeds. I have found however that my seeds tend to be viable well beyond their general expiration dates.

My current fridge has a small drawer area that is about chest height. It's just the right size to store the average seed pack lying on it's side, front of label facing outward. I have put the seeds in alphabetical order and used elastic bands to put each seed type into a bundle. That is, all my bean packs are in a bundle in the 'B' area, pumpkin are banded together etc. It makes looking for a particular type of fruit or veg much easier to find. It also means I have been less likely to purchase seeds unnecessarily as I can easily see if I've got plenty of one type.

So, how do you store your seeds? Have you found one method better than another?

What results have you had on extending the shelf life of your seeds?