Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Pesky armadillo deterrent — The Grow Network Community

Pesky armadillo deterrent

monica197monica197 Posts: 15 ✭✭✭
edited August 26 in Growing Food

This past weekend I created what I think to be a deterrent for pesky armadillos. They drive me nuts rooting through dirt and literally uprooting 50% of what I plant - seedlings and even full grown plants at times. I cut bamboo stakes about 18" and arranged them around my cucumber seedlings tying them together at the top to form a teepee of sorts. It has been 3 days now and all of my cucumber and malibar spinach seedlings have gone unbothered. I have a teepee around my eggplant seeds too though they have not sprouted yet. I figure the teepee will add a nice little support for the plant too as these vining plants get going and work their way up their trellis. Has anyone else tried this? How did it go?

Comments

• Melissa SwartzMelissa Swartz Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

I have armadillos too. I don't have an answer for you, but would love to know how to deter them.

• merlin44merlin44 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

One idea- I read a gentleman who grew up during the Great Depression said armadillos taste a lot like chicken LOL. Seriously, they are know to carry leprosy. Please post a follow up letting us know if the bamboo teepee works.

• JOBallingerJOBallinger Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

We used to have armadillos in our yard and they too rooted holes everywhere. Then we got dogs, first one, then another eventually ending up with 5 big dogs and one house dog and no armadillos. I love my dogs. I did not love the armadillos. Win! Win!

• monica197monica197 Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

So I have been thrilled with my tee-pees. Up to this point every single one of my seedlings that have been covered with them have continued to keep their roots in the dirt by morning!!! Yay!!! I have a few pictures below. The cucumbers are set to grow right through them and head up the fence (sideways!).

Thrift gardener that I am I realized that using paint stirrers also works...and they give them to you at Lowe's whereas they make you buy the bamboo!! So now whenever I am in Lowe's (which is pretty much all the time!) I meander past the paint department and ask for 5-10 stir sticks. The English pea sprouts are coming along.

...tastes like chicken - I love it! They say that about gator around these parts too!!

• merlin44merlin44 Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@monica197 Thanks for the update. Always looking for ways to use the bamboo I added to the landscape a few years ago.

• monica197monica197 Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

I wanted to post an update regarding my bamboo teepees...they worked GREAT! I have been loving my cucumber harvest - all 8 plants made it and are prolific as well as my beans - yay!!!