A new way to look at herbs.

This is a super short article, and doesn't really go in-depth into anything.. So, sorry in advance for posting "fluff" lol, but I found it fascinating to see how the herbs look under a high-res microscope - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/08/see-tiny-factories-that-put-taste-and-aroma-in-herbs-spices/

They're like their own tiny, alien worlds...

Comments

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Not fluffy at all! Thanks for the fascinating link. The way I see it, anything that enhances our understanding of plants makes us a better gardener.

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

The pictures are very awesome! Thanks.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

It's amazing how different they look under the microscope. Fascinating!

• ArleneWoods
    ArleneWoods Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

Linzi, Thanks for sharing the link! The pictures are amazing.

The essential oils in plants and the ways they have evolved to protect themselves or attract pollinators is fascinating. I grow a lot of peppermint and recently saw microscopic pictures of the plant. Making fresh tea is one thing, but the essential oils are so much more concentrated - it would take 21 cups of peppermint tea to equal the peppermint in one drop of essential oil! We learn so much when we take that closer look.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Linzi re "Ocimum basilicum: Each basil variety has a unique set of chemical aromas that impart flavor. Native to wetter areas, basils don’t need “hairy” heat and drought shields like other herbs do, so leaves are almost bald. The small round structures are glands containing the chemicals that make basil’s flavors and aromas." - Amazing, & utterly Astounding. Nature is perpetually fascinating... Thanks for sharing :)