What is this?

smockv
smockv Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

I have found that I am inundated with these plants; not sure if they need eradication or foraging...

They have absolutely taken over any space that is not grassy. I found hundreds of them clumped inside a raised bed that hasn't been used in several years ( We just moved in about 2 months ago- house was empty over a year), they had 2 tiny leaves and a single root... HELP!

Comments

• smockv

@Lisa K Thanks!

• DeeperEating
    DeeperEating Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

I agree that it looks like purslane. Grows pretty readily as a weed in many gardens. If you get a positive ID it is a tasty green for eating!

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like purslane to me too, but I have never seen one look so healthy!

• smockv

@shllnzl I am completely inundated! I cant seem to get it under control; get rid of one and get 2 more kind of situation.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smockv The purslane in the desert looks like a succulent with red stems. My visiting mother-in-law cooked it and ate it once while I was at work and survived the experience.

Thanks for the great link -- I was pretty sure that I did not want to eat the stems!

Next time I see it in a part of my yard not exposed to auto exhaust, I will give it a taste test.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@smockv It looks like Purslane...it is edible and pretty tasty too. You can eat it raw or cook it. It doesn't grow everywhere and is said to only grow under certain conditions.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

In Australia it is called pigweed, comes from the portulacca genus. Incredibly high in omega 3, very healthy green!

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like purslane to me too.

Have a look at:

Prepsteaders on youtube. She does some on front yard foraging and one of them is on purslane.

hth

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

it does look like purslane its a very good for you weed its high ain omega fatty acids 3 and it can work like alovera on wounds i have eaten the leaves raw it taste to me kinda lemony. the leaves stems and flowers are edible. raw, cooked, or pickled.

the medicinal properties are the seeds help uterine bleeding. leaves also help asthma and bronchial. the plant has anti fungal properties, supposed to help lower cholesterol. so if you have alot of it harvest it and pickle for the winter months or make into a tincture or freeze it i purposely take it out of the garden and plant it in a "herb" spot to grow for me to harvest

• smockv

@nksunshine27 I plan to put some in a large container in my kitchen garden in the Spring. I get the feeling that it is like mint and will eventually take over everything if I don't contain it with something. I have heard that it is similar in flavor to Arugula.

We just moved to this house in late Summer this year so I didn't get a lot built and planted this year. Over the winter I will plan it all out, hopefully 😉 I have a large brush pile behind the house that I am considering turning into a Hugelbed . This area gets naturally filtered afternoon sun from noon to sunset. I am thinking that it would make a great start given that it has already been rotting for about 5 years and I have several large trees that need to come down, to put around the edges?