Most Delightful Plant To Grow??

merlin44
merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

For me, its two plants-luffa and tumeric. Turmeric just amazes me, not sure why. In this area, Luffa must be planted as soon as the ground warms, found transplanting if started inside really slows the plant down and I harvest literally at the last possible moment, the evening prior to the first frost. Luffa insists I pay attention. What is your favorite?

Comments

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to pick a favorite but trombocino squash are very fun to grow, as are yardlong beans.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

Essentially I love to grow anything I can get to produce. LOL. That being said, I probably like lettuce and tomatoes the most. We eat a lot of lettuce considering we don’t eat bread, we use the lettuce in place of buns for burgers or sandwiches. Nothing beats a homegrown tomato.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Thats a hard one, so much choice. Sunflowers are amazing and Passionfruit are exquisite. Any great tasting homegrown fruit or vegetables are something to be proud of.

• Karyn Pennington
    Karyn Pennington Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I'm telling you, I could plant my entire yard in garlic! It's SO easy to grow and SO useful. Just this past weekend I was removing the dried stems, etc. and getting ready to store and sorting what would be replanted. My husband asks WHY do you plant SO MUCH garlic??? And the answer is, because I love it, it's easy, it's useful and I put garlic in/on everything!

a close second are perennial onions and multiplier onions -- again because of their ease and usefulness from green onions to onion powder.

Third would have to be tomatoes because I can everything I can think of: pasta sauce/marinara; pizza sauce; diced tomatoes; stewed tomatoes, salsa and I dehydrate the small (grape/cherry) ones -- they taste like candy. And if I over dry/cook them, I grind them into powder that thickens soups, etc.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have a favorite plant to grow but I enjoy growing good food that is native and/or heirloom that provide nutrition, sustenance, provide food for pollinators (and other wildlife), have culinary or medicinal uses.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love growing all types of greens in the winter. In the spring and summer I love sweet potatoes. The vines look beautiful in my front yard as decoration and in my garden they're ground cover & food. Inside I love peace lily's b/c they always tell me they need water if I forget.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

My favorite plants are the ones that grow themselves. For example, my Mom's best tomatoe plant is one that is growing in her front flower bed. Maybe a bird dropped a tomatoe there. It is still doing great there since shaded in afternoon. Tomatoes even with temps in the 90s - 100s.