What did you learn this year?
For some of us the gardening season is starting to slow down. Yet, I realize others still have many months to go. I find that every year there's 1-2 things that stick out for me that I learned. Something I did this year that I didn't do last year or something someone shared that I tried.
This year I tried burying some compost -- I dug a trench and planted sweet potatoes on either side of it. I don't know (yet) how the sweet potatoes underground are doing, but the vines are EVERYWHERE! I think it was successful. Time will tell. Praying for a late frost so they can continue in my short season climate.
However, I also dug a pit and then planted winter squash directly on top of it -- I'm thinking that may have been too soon and/or too close (the trench was about 8-10 inches away from the sweet potato slips). I literally, dug, dumped, threw the dirt back and planted winter squash. The vine spread like crazy but every fruit grew to about softball size and fell off the vine. I've never had this happen before and I'm thinking maybe too much nitrogen and the plants just kept spreading but the fruit couldn't sustain itself. I will plant in the same spot next year and see what happens.
Finally, I experimented with bio-char -- I collected and then charged with compost tea and then mixed with compost. Yesterday, I spread it all on the front lawn (which has been quite neglected as I've focused on gardens and beds). As soon as I was done we got a light rain, so I'm hoping in a few weeks my lawn will revive.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 356 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter