Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

What is the best way to bring potted plants indoors for the winter without insect hitchhikers? — The Grow Network Community
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

What is the best way to bring potted plants indoors for the winter without insect hitchhikers?

shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭

I have been gardening only in pots this year and plan to bring viable plants indoors before the first freeze. I don't want garden pests and/or scorpions to contaminate my house or indoor plants. Many of them will become permanent houseplants.

Last winter I covered my aloe vera and other plants and kept them near the house walls for warmth, yet lost most of the plants anyway.

Any success stories, especially organic ones? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Best Answers

Answers

• I would try putting them on a table or something so you can look for the bigger things. Leave them on that table/whatever for a few days (off the ground in particular) and more will evacuate. I'm not sure it is possible to avoid everything without repotting with sterilized soil as there will be some eggs or larva in the current soil. But at least it should take care of most things.

• Obiora EObiora E Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭

You can use a natural dish soap and water to wash off the leaves. It will also keep at bay insects that may want to come in on the leaves. However it will not do anything about insects in your soil.

• shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭

@seeker.nancy @Obiora E Both of you have valid steps in the process. Does anyone know how to treat the soil for insect eggs? (I have a Bt powder that is effective against fungus gnats in the soil.)

• shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭

I think that I will be moving plants into the garage overnight and on the coldest days. Thanks everyone who answered.