Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Ag/Hort Fair exhibitions for fun development — The Grow Network Community
🌙 Have you ever heard of a Moon Garden? Do you have one that you want to share photos of? Check out this Moon Garden discussion created by smockv!

Ag/Hort Fair exhibitions for fun development

rainbowrainbow 8Agreen+goldPosts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Thought about making this discussion ever since arrived here in Marjory's place. - Obviously I wear my heart on my sleeves, but the internet can be deadly cruel. For 20 years participated in countless internet groups, & may I say: This is about the Best 🤗 I've been in, Why: No one makes fun of anyone else (afaik). Everyone takes a sincere interest in others, & only wants to help... us all grow. How wonderful is this ! Thank you for caring & helping...

What motivates me to start this "Ag/Hort Fair exhibitions" discussion: When people start with projects like growing their own food, it can be daunting, & doubts as well as questions are endless. - Some here may wonder: why is that rainbow girl posting all these photos, & too mentioning the Fair ? - Well, the answer is Simply: when you Exhibit whatever tiny Flower, or plant, or food(s) all that you grew... you get lots of Positive... feedback & encouragement at the Fair: folks there also want to help you grow further. And your own continual Fun development is the main reason you do it. Sure, sometimes your Exhibit may be rewarded an Amateur $3 - 8 prize. For folks in WA-state, go here: https://www.thefair.com/washington-state-fair/ . On the top, click on 'get Involved', & next click on 'enter a competition' . Heck I was mortified 4 years ago, but it was silly, as on my 1st day it became just fun... so Jump right in, you will like it too 😀 The 7th. entry is Floral (25 pg. PDF). I recommend you start there with Edible flowers & even Herbs, etc as it's easier..., trust me. And afterwards the very 1st. entry is Agriculture & Horticulture & when you click on this, it downloads 17 pg. PDF. - I know both Superintendents personally. They are such delightful people. All the Staff take you right under their wing, & help you every step of the way... to have fun...

Comments

• pamelamackenziepamelamackenzie Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

I use to enter crafts and food in the county fair when I was a kid as part of 4-H. As an adult I have not even attended a county fair. I think I will try to attend one if there are any nearby this fall/winter. The State Fair seems too big but I would like to check out a local fair.

• rainbowrainbow 8Agreen+gold Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @pamelamackenzie Good for you, re 4H. I bet you had fun too. 🙂

When I was sent to the USA as a teen - was not made aware that anything like 4H even exists. Since Gardening was really our way of life in Europe, there was no special celebrating, or contests about it. -

But as a parent who Unschooled the kids, naturally we too did lots of 4H... gardening, & cooking especially the award-winning Brownies, & Needlepoint, etc. etc.