Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

What can you tell me about dairy sheep? — The Grow Network Community
Honesty is telling the truth to ourselves and others. Integrity is living that truth.

- Kenneth H. Blanchard

What can you tell me about dairy sheep?

I am not currently in a position to raise any large livestock, but I hope too in the future. Dairy sheep are something I'm rather curious about as 1. I'm sensitive to cows milk 2. I adore the sheep's cheese that I've had 3. I have a little experience with dairy goats, and have mixed feelings 4. I'm weird and like to do things just because people around me are not.

Now, I realize worldwide sheep dairy is actually pretty common; but in the US, not so much. In fact, I know quite a few people with dairy goats, but none with dairy sheep to my knowledge. So, who can tell me about them?

Comments

• Sheep milk is getting more common.

I think they would be hard to milk by hand. If that's the case you could use a milking machine.

I'm really spoiled by having dairy goats with nice long teats that are easy and quick to milk. When I see the little teats on sheep it is discouraging to try to milk them. We do have a few icelandic sheep for fleece and meat.... I have not tried to milk them.

There are simple milking machines that you can purchase. I have seen people that raise dwarf goats use them. That's what I would try if I seriously wanted to milk the sheep. Maybe I should try it next spring after baby sheep are born!

• blevinandwombablevinandwomba Central PaPosts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Funny thing. The evening after I posted that, I was at the farm I buy my meat from, and I saw a sign for local sheep's milk. I had seen it a while ago but I completely forgot. I'll have to give them a call soon.

• Marjory WildcraftMarjory Wildcraft ✭✭✭ Posts: 1,043 admin

Wow, you are lucky if you can find sheep's milk. It is super rare in most places.

Lynn Gillispie at the Living Farm in Colorado has a flock of over 200 sheep - for meat, wool, and the also milk. I am sure Lynn would be delighted to talk with you. Also Lynn is going to create a certification for the Honors Lab on sheep - gives us about 6 months to get that ready.

I was thrilled this year to get to be a part of 'lambing season'. I got to fulfill my midwife fantasies (the reality is not nearly as fun as the imagination - but it was still miraculous).

• blevinandwombablevinandwomba Central PaPosts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I would love to hear from Lynn. How do I get in touch with her?

I'm looking forward to taking some courses this fall/winter.

One of my friends keeps goats, and she said I could come sometime and help with the kidding- but we've never found the time.