Can I save it?
I've been having some issues with my ears recently. While I don't think it's infected right now, it is a little inflamed. I had read about making an oil infusion with garlic and mullein and it seems like it'll help even if it's not yet at an infected stage.
So, I set about making some up. I wanted to hurry the process along a bit more than a typical oil infusion that takes a couple months at room temp.. but I also didn't want to use a double boiler to warm it for an hour or two on my stove (it just makes it too hot in here to cook something for that long, and it's still very much summer in n. Texas..) Instead I had the brilliant idea of placing the oil and herbs in a jar, the placing this jar in a larger bowl, and slowly warming it from the outside with water from my electric kettle.
Well.. so, there's this little thing glass does when it changes temps too quick.. 😅 haha. I didn't think the water was too warm, but a couple seconds into pouring it in the bowl, I hear a little * pop * and I see the oil start seeping out into the water. 😖
I went ahead and covered the whole bowl, let the oil, herbs, and water sit over night to cool. I've since strained out the herbs and removed most of the water. There's a good bit of deliciously garlicy smelling oil that I managed to save..
I'm wondering if it may still be safe to use in my ears? Or maybe I should taste test it and use it on a salad instead at this point?
What do you guys think? Can it's use as a medicine be saved?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter