Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

Pet Remedy? — The Grow Network Community
People who love to eat are always the best people.

- Julia Child

Pet Remedy?

My Pyrenees has developed a hot spot that she has made from quarter sized when I saw it last night to larger than a baseball today.

I know of two things she may be reacting to: new adopted dog in the home and I was a week late on her flea meds. Flea meds taken care of and we are trying to give her extra attention but she is very independent.

Right now I’m mostly concerned and hoping I can get some advice on clearing up this icky wound!

Im brewing a tea with chamomile and comfrey now to use as a wash. But what can I use to stop her from going at it. I know it will itch as it heals and was thinking coconut oil but then...do I want to keep it moist??

really only looking for simple home remedies. If she isn’t better in a few days I will take her into town for a vet visit.

Comments

• @herbantherapy honestly the best thing to stop them is the cone of shame. I have tried many things herbal and essential oil based with no luck in stopping the chewing at the wound site. They helped with the healing but it was a long process. Hopefully someone here has a sure fire fix!

• herbantherapyherbantherapy Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭

@seeker.nancy I was thinking that too. I’m going to see if I can find one in the garage. I’m not going into to town for two days so I hope I find one here so it doesn’t get worse in the meantime.

Yes! I found the cone! This makes me feel better. Now I can treat it without her messing with it.

• vickeymvickeym Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭

I have also seen where folks have used pool noodle on a collar as a cone of shame as well..

• merlin44merlin44 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭✭

@herbantherapy She's a beauty! For wounds on the critters, I put Colloidal Silver and comfrey tea in spray bottles and alternatively spray the spot several times daily. For itching, I give Ledum palustre 6X and apply calendula salve 2-3 times a day.

• greyfurballgreyfurball Southeastern PennsylvaniaPosts: 592 ✭✭✭✭

Another good idea to make a homemade cone of shame is using a large bath towel. Fold it in thirds lengthwise and then wrap it around the animals neck area. Tuck the ends under and if you have it folded and tucked nice and tight it does not slip off. I had a large dog also when I needed this remedy to help the animal to heal and it worked well. You'll have to check the towel daily and make sure it stays tight enough that it is difficult for the animal to get over the "lump" of fabric.

• jjoceanjjocean Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

In addition to preventing continued licking a chewing remember that it is likely that in addition to an allergic type reaction (histamine) there is likely a superficial staph (bacteria) infection that has colonized the excoriated skin. Key is to wash with something that will have both an antibacterial and drying effect while preventing further licking till healed. The area probably needs to be cleaned at least twice a day. Conventional treatment is with corticosteroids but catching it early probably will allow it to heal.

• toreytorey Posts: 2,874 admin

Chickweed is a refrigerant to help cool the area and ease itching. Using Calendula is a great idea; it will help to heal the area and has antibacterial properties.

• nksunshine27nksunshine27 IdahoPosts: 336 ✭✭✭

using a tea made out of echinacia root, calendula plantain chamomile spray that on the hot spot also colloidal silver in the tea

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions! Her open sores are all scabbed up and the skin is not inflamed any more. It is slightly fevered but I’m keeping a close eye on it.