Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

I'm Proud of My Little Orchard — The Grow Network Community
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

I'm Proud of My Little Orchard

Mary Linda BittleMary Linda Bittle Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭

I moved to rural Idaho in May of 2016, and my landlords gifted me with 5 dwarf fruit trees from Stark Brothers. One of the pears didn't survive the deep snow the first winter, and the plum has yet to bloom. But this year I harvested about 20 cherries, 4 pears (a neighbor has pear trees, so pollination wasn't a problem), and now I've harvested 7 apples! I'm feeling pretty proud of myself since this is my first venture in growing my own fruit.

Tagged:

Comments

• Chris A.Chris A. Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

If you give them a good pruning in the spring you might find you have a bumper harvest as they are coming of age! If you desire a wonderful way to combat worms, mites and aphids, plant either some garlic or some bunching onions under the tree. They act as a great deterrent for the bad critters. Not too much garlic though as the taste might sneak into the fruit. Happy orcharding!

• Mary Linda BittleMary Linda Bittle Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭

I wanted to plant some garlic anyway, so I'll give it a try. Thanks!

• merlin44merlin44 Posts: 441 ✭✭✭✭

That's a beautiful apple. Congratulations on your success!!!

• Obiora EObiora E Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle Thank you for sharing. I wish you much continued success with your orchard!

• pamelamackenziepamelamackenzie Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

Thanks @Pat, I may transplant some of my bunching onions under the fruit trees at my Mom's place.

• joanmd22joanmd22 Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

So exciting when the fruit trees begin to produce! I also plant yarrow and lavender under the tree canopy about 6 to 8 feet from the trunk to help bring in the benefical insects. Strawberries also grow under my cherry and apple trees as well, but picking fruit from the trees can be like a game of Twister with trying to not step on the Strawberry plants. Wishing you good future crop harvests.

• gennywugennywu Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the tips. I have a few dwarf and ultra dwarf trees growing in containers in my yard. I love them, but I do have some trouble with aphids. I will give the garlic, onions and lavender a try. Right now I am growing some alpine strawberries as a ground cover beneath them. I love those too.

• Mary Linda BittleMary Linda Bittle Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭

I really like the idea of two crops in one spot. Thanks to everyone who commented! It's really exciting to start to grow your own food. I look forward to learning from everyone.

• ines871ines871 zn8APosts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle - What wonderfully encouraging 🙂 Landlords you are blessed with. And this is a good Group to share your continued... success with your orchard. Enjoy !

• EarlKellyEarlKelly Penn state master gardener Northeastern Pennsylvania zone 5bPosts: 231 ✭✭✭

Look fantastic. Keep up the good work. Been rough here in northeast PA. Way too much rain the last too years for our fruit trees. Hopefully next year.