Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Fixing alkaline soil... suggestions? — The Grow Network Community
If you can tune into your purpose and really align with it, setting goals so that your vision is an expression of that purpose, then life flows much more easily.

-Jack Canfield

Fixing alkaline soil... suggestions?

We recently did some basic soil testing in my raised garden beds and discovered that my soil is very alkaline. This explains why certain plants seem to do well and others (ones that prefer acidic soil) do terrible. It doesn't help that the city water is very alkaline too.

Has anyone been successful at amending gardening soil that is too alkaline? What did you use? What would you recommend? I'd love your suggestions!

Tagged:

Comments

• greyfurballgreyfurball Southeastern PennsylvaniaPosts: 555 ✭✭✭✭

For a quick boost of acid add a couple of inches of spagnum peat moss to your soil and mix it in. Spagnum is very acidic on the pH scale so it works quickly to add some acid to your soil's pH.

For a longer term solution, if you have an off growing season (like a winter season with cold temps), during your Fall cleanup add some sulphur to your beds and this slowly leaches into the soil over the winter months and will help to amend your soil before Spring planting season rolls around again.

• David NelsonDavid Nelson Central TexasPosts: 3 ✭✭✭

I'm a fan of the peat. Don't forget to test again (after a few months) and don't be shy about adding more if you need it. To get blueberries to grow in central Texas I need about 50% peat to local soil.

cheers

• HassenaHassena Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Hey there, when we lived in Phoenix, ohhhh gosh...the soil and water were about 8-9pH. I've found that adding lots of organic matter. Fresh wood chips were my favorite to mix into the soil. One can usually acquire those for free too :)

Just keep adding organic matter, bury compost, coffee grounds, chunks of cardboard. I presume your soil is heavy in clay too. That means less pore space in the soil for roots and worms. The organic matter will help create the spaces in the soil for water percolation and eventually increase the resilience of plants.