Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Thai Roselle Hibiscus — The Grow Network Community
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Thai Roselle Hibiscus

Teresa KlepacTeresa Klepac Posts: 24 ✭✭✭

I just harvested the calyxes off my Thai Roselle Hibiscus and I strongly encourage anyone who enjoys tea/flavored water and sharing plants to consider growing this plant if you are in the right zone. I was given a plant last year and I saved a few seeds. This year I planted the seeds and they all came up so I started giving them away to friends and family. The plant itself is very pretty and grows about six feet during the growing season. We are growing it as an annual in zone 8a. Whenever you want you can harvest some of the leaves for a flavorful water or add them to a salad for a nice, tart addition. Once the flowers have bloomed the seed pod will mature into a pretty red pod on the shrub. Pick the seed pods and pull the red calyxes off and air dry. Once they are dry store them to make tea. The next spring you have the seeds left to start new plants for yourself and others! I understand that the calyxes also make good jelly but I haven't tried that yet.

Comments

• shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭

You're giving me ideas. I am also in zone 8 and looking for food plants that will work for my high 100s temperatures. Looks like your plants did great in pots. Hmm. Something to think about. Thanks for sharing.