These tea bags release billions of plastic particles into your brew, study shows

Merin Porter
Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin
edited November 2020 in Other News

If only this were at all surprising.... :( Important to note, though, that the study is talking about plastic tea bags, not the paper ones like those shown in the image.....

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yet something else to be depressed about. However, the article is scary without substance because they did not discuss how to recognize a plastic tea bag. (Too many current articles are written this way; scaretainment without substance.) I went and opened one of my mesh looking bags that contains organic Sencha tea -- there is no way to determine if the mesh is cloth, plastic or a combination of both.

If we want to be careful, we should avoid the mesh bags, often containing the "flowering" tea.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

I guess it’s just yet another reason to use loose tea and steepers!!! Or better yet your own garden herbs💕

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I know that certain triangular ones are shiny. That should be a dead giveaway. Sometimes I like to look at flavors that I see on the store packets, then I go home and enjoy a loose tea version of it instead.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

That is terrible for us and the environment. I’ll stick to the loose teas and use a mesh dunker.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

Had no idea plastic tea bags existed. Thanks for informing the ignorant.

• Merin Porter

It's been a while, but I used to really enjoy a particular tea that used these. I have since switched to brands that use paper tea bags, but this is still good to know. As @Lisa K mentioned above, one possible solution if you ever come across these might be to remove the bags and use the contents like loose tea. I'm going to keep this strategy in my back pocket just in case! :)

• Merin Porter

FYI, found this online:

Opt for tea bags that are completely biodegradable, plastic-free, organic, or made with plant-based materials. Another phrase to look for is tea bags that say they're "free of epichlorohydrin," which is a chemical some manufacturers add to prevent the bags from breaking down quickly. Country Living rounded up some of the popular plastic-free brands, which include Organic TazoTwinnings pyramid rangeTeaPigs, and Clipper.

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

@Merin Porter Thank you for awesome information!!!

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

I’m looking for a loose tea “bag” solution. I make most of my own blends from the garden.

the mesh balls are a pain to clean and after a few uses of a new one I can taste the metallic zing. I’m worried I will taste the silicone too and haven’t tried it. Plus honestly I don’t what silicone will look like in our environment in the future. Remember how excited the world was about Plastic containers/Tupperware in the 50’s? Yikes!

Ideally I would love a compostable single use tea bag of natural fibers I can just toss in with my coffee grounds for the garden. BUT....all the ones I find are made in China!

Anyone know of a good source of disposable/biodegradable tea bags not made overseas? So for me that’s North and South America or Canada.

• tammyrichardsmt9
    tammyrichardsmt9 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the information! I never considered that a tea bag would have plastic in it.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited February 2020

@herbantherapy This is so interesting that I am not the only one that questions "the amazing solution" of silicone. I hope it is as good and safe as they claim, but unfortunately only time will tell.

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

YUCK, yuck!

Why can't they just let it alone.

Why do we need plastic in the tea bags?

Does it really make the tea taste better or are they just a filler?

Are we that far gone that it makes it taste better?

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I remember when you first posted this and I looked up a few of my favorite teas to see if they used plastic in their bags. It is surprisingly difficult to get a definitive answer! I did find that Celestial Seasonings has safe bags which is a relief to me as that is one of my favorites. I have tried to focus on loose leaf since then.