Why I Use Mullein Instead of Benadryl

wbt.affiliates
wbt.affiliates Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

I suffer from chronic allergies. The allergies could be due to my love of dairy products, or it could be my dog, neither of which I’m giving up.

But because of sneezing and coughing, the allergies get in the way of resting well at night, so I used to take Benadryl. Benadryl worked like a charm. It made me sleepy and took care of my symptoms.

As I went into natural remedies, however, I found out about mullein.

You may know about mullein. It’s a weed called by a number of names, wooly ear, cowboy toilet paper, candlewick plant. The biennial plant can grow up to eight feet tall in its second year, depending on the variety. The one in my yard rarely grows taller than two feet. I never need to plant it, since mullein produces thousands of tiny seeds with each plant.

Mullein is not native to the Americas. It was brought here by settlers from Europe. It grows almost anywhere, but especially loves our arid climate and poor rocky soil here in western United States.

Cool Info, But What’s It Used For?

As I mentioned earlier, I use it to address my chronic allergies. That’s it’s most valued claim to fame. It helps with dry cough, congestion, sore throat, and even with inflammatory respiratory conditions like asthma. Some have even used it to help with bronchitis.

Fresh mullein flowers, crushed into a paste, work as an antiseptic, handy to have around when gardening.

In a recent study (I wish I had written down the actual research), the anti-viral properties in mullein were used to treat Herpes simplex virus type 1 and the influenza A virus.

It fights bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and may even lower the risk of developing hypertension, although that hasn’t been tested yet.

Where Benadryl has a few unwanted side effects that I’ll mention in a minute, one of the side effects of mullein is healthy hair and scalp. I like that one.

So Why Not Benadryl?

Isn’t it much easier to take a pill than make a tea? Yes. And if you want to, that’s fine. But be aware that you may not want the side effects. You won’t notice them at first, such as the damage Benadryl can do to your liver.

Benadryl will make you drowsy. So will mullein. Do not do either if you expect to drive or operate machinery. Like mullein, Benadryl also dries everything up, your mucous membranes, including your eyes. Because it dries things up, it can cause constipation. Drink lots of water if you take either mullein or Benadryl.

Benadryl, however, has a few added issues. It can cause an enlarged prostate, cause difficulty in urinating, upset your stomach, mess with your vision, and irritate your liver.

Mullein can also upset your stomach if you don’t use a tea ball or a tea bag. The tiny fibers in the leaves can cause an irritation. So use a tea ball when you make it.

Mullein Tea (standard preparation tastes like grass)

1/2 teaspoon dried mullein leaves

1 cup boiling water

Or, my way, (tastes more like mint) made 2 hours before bed:

Put 1 teaspoon dried mint in a tea ball

Add ½ to 1 teaspoon dried mullein

Place in a large mug

Pour in boiling water

Let steep for 5-15 minutes

Sip slowly

Infused Oil for Winter Use

(use for earaches, mouth ulcers, skin conditions, postpartum healing, joint inflammation)

Harvest fresh flowers

Fill a glass jar with flowers

(Some will already be dried before there are enough to fill the jar. That’s all right.)

Cover the flowers with olive oil (extra virgin is best)

Cover the top with cheesecloth to let out moisture, especially if your mixture has fresh flowers

Poke a knife inside once a day to let out air bubbles for a few days

Put in a dark place from four to six weeks

Strain out flowers

Now you can use this all winter long.

But use a clean cloth or a Q-tip, never your finger, to apply the oil.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

That's awesome that you have found relief from your allergies.

Should you ever run out of mullein, you could try stinging nettle or coltsfoot. Both are very good at managing seasonal allergies and histamine reactions.

• wbt.affiliates

LOL. I can't imagine EVER running out of mullein. I started with one volunteer weed, and they brought along their whole tribe! But you're right. I just don't like harvesting stinging nettle. And the Lord hasn't planted coltsfoot in my yard yet.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

It’s so very interesting how I’m learning about mullein. Watching you tube videos about common edibles, a docuseries talked about it, and now here again. A friend I’ve talked to for years has been through so much with doctors, allergists, pulmonologists, you name it. The last time I spoke with her I told her that I had heard of something but couldn’t remember it at the time and also that I’d hopefully come up with it before our next meeting. I had remembered the mullein and now I can include the stinging nettle and coltsfoot to the list of things she may want to try.

• one.ette
    one.ette Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

Can you post a picture of it and how to identify it?

Thanks!

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just bought some dried mullein leaves to try for my allergies. I plan to use your tea recipe.

When I used Benadryl, my IQ would drop significantly for a couple of days. Now the doctors are saying that Benadryl effects brain chemistry and can contribute to dementia.

• wbt.affiliates
    • Shilnzl - I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing.
    • one-ette - I posted this same article on LinkedIn. That article has a picture. You can also look it up through Google images. The first year it grows close to the ground in a rosette of lambs ears. The second year it shoots up a stalk with tiny (usually yellow) flowers and seeds.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

My daughter makes use of mullein for asthma. She, when in wilderness, picks the live leaf, "quick" dries it in a pipe as it is smoked for relief of symptoms. I keep Mullen flower oil for my Nubian/LaMancha goat, her tiny ears occasionally need cleaning.

Chickweed is also an excellent choice for allergies. The fresh plant offers instant relief.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wbt.affiliates Thought I would pass on this user tip: the best way to speak directly to someone on the forums is to put the @ sign before their name so they get notified.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@wbt.affiliates

I am so glad you posted this info on Mullein. I grow it here as well. I should say, I found it in my yard 3 years ago and had to search for it's identity lol. Since then I have found it in different places in the yard.

Check out Herbal Jedi. He does a u tube on it and many other herbs.

IMPORTANT info on BENADRYL:

On of its most dangerous side effects that most don't know about: When I worked I worked 13 hour night shifts and 3 days in a row usually. I had to have something to knock the 'wide awake' off so I could sleep for the next shift. I took benydryl until the day I discovered this potentially deadly problem:

Heart disrhythmia, effecting the ventricles which can be potentially life threatening. I saw that and quit taking it immediately. It didn't do that to me, but I was about 15 years younger then. Yes, this fact has been known for that long. Typical for RX! It has been known to cause 'prolonged QT interval. see for yourself:

A very important topic so glad you posted your info!

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

Below are two images of Woolly Mullein. I first noticed it two years ago on a farm where I work part-time. For my allergies I started using Goldenrod last year. I have also used local honey, green apples, Green Tea, etc. I knew about the joint inflammation but was not aware of some of the other uses. Thank you for sharing.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Hi @wbt.affiliates - wow, nice post. I bet the allergies are ffrom the dairy products more than the doggie.

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

Great Post! My Qigong master taught me that if you eat 2 kiwifruit a day, your allergies will go away. I was never able to test it out though because I have no allergies. 😊 I just love how nature has so many solutions for even one health problem!

• bkpelfrey
    bkpelfrey Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

I have just recently really started digging into herbal treatments although I was given many by my mom and grandparents as a child. I had no idea the gold mine that I had in my yard. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information.

• pseabolt
    pseabolt Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

I know that it’s been proven over time and accepted practice but does anyone else find it counterintuitive to smoke an herb for lung issues? I’m not questioning the practice, just trying to imagine what brought some early hardy soul to try that particular approach. By saying that, it clarifies why I am here, to learn from the collective wisdom of others.

• wbt.affiliates

LOL. Counterintuitive, yes, but even so, IT WORKS, and you can't argue with results.

• merlin44

@pseabolt My daughter smokes mullein when she has difficulty with asthma because it brings instant relief. The first time she tried it, we were at a primitive skills class located far off the beaten path. Her choices were leave class for a few hours to seek out the nearest pharmacy and miss a content or try mullein. The smoke contains medicinal qualities and opens the bronchi. Works for her.

I was told by an elder that in the first halve of the last century, marijuana grew wild in the South. Known by the name Road Tobacco, it too was smoked as a remedy for asthma.

• wbt.affiliates

I love this! Road tobacco! I wish more people would love this wonderful plant as much as I do.

• maryannfricko
    maryannfricko Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Mullein works very well for me. My lymph passages are sluggish, so that and a number of other tinctures are helpful.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

I guess it makes sense to smoke the leaves to deliver the medicinal qualities where they’re needed.

• wbt.affiliates

To most people it sounds counter intuitive, to put smoke into lungs that are already compromised, but you're right. You deliver the medicine exactly where it's needed.

• KarynPennington
    KarynPennington Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

My sister and I both suffer from lung issues that we attribute to growing up near a cement factory -- my DAILY chore was dusting and I hate dusting to this day. She has pretty bad asthma and constantly gets bronchitis. While my lung capacity is 100%, I typically have a dry cough on any given day, worsened by allergies. Not to sound stupid, but how, exactly, do you smoke it? I'm guessing crushing and rolling in papers? Would an "incense" with mullein by just as effective? What about a tincture. I grew mullein this year for the first time but didn't harvest the flowers because time didn't permit. I probably should get out there and get some leaves before it's too late. I can do a tea/decoction, but am curious about the smoking. Licorice tea or powder (directly in the mouth) has worked well, but I haven't yet researched how to (or if I can) grow licorice.

Thanks for the great info.

• maryannfricko
    maryannfricko Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Benedryl works as a stimulant for me. I once took it at night and stayed awake (and anxious) all night.

Mullein is awesome. It helped when I had bronchitis.

• merlin44

@Karyn Pennington Mullein dried leaves can be smoked in a small pipe. In an acute situation, my daughter has picked and crushed fresh leaves to smoke with excellent results. I'm not certain about an incense as other ingredients would have to be added for it to burn continuously and they may be irritating to the respiratory tract. Mullen tincture and tea are both very effective with lung issues.