Natural insect repellent

This is the time of year where I live that very small biting insects are a nuisance. Mossies, midgeys etc. I have tried many concoctions of the natural type and not convinced they work that well. I've been given one recipe by a friend recently that I am trialling atm. This is using essential oils as the ingredients. 15 drops of lemongrass, 15 drops of lavender, 15 drops peppermint, 5 drops patchouli, 5 drops thyme. Top with water 500mls in spray bottle, always shake before use. I try and wear long sleves/pants etc and will not use Deet and associated products. Does anyone have a tried and tested formula that they use, with natural ingredients please.

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

This is what we use. It seems to work well with mosquitoes & ticks.

It's claim:

Tips:

The lady who makes this now sells it as a base and EO blend because the govt would not let her sell it mixed unless she got her claims "scientifically" tested and so on. They put it under an insecticide classification if it was mixed. 😕

I have also heard that rose geranium EO works well and can be used on dogs.

Vinegar works well on our cow while we're milking. I would like to try ACV next summer.

• one.ette
    one.ette Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

2 drops of Peppermint EO

1 drop Citronella EO

1 drop Lemongrass EO

4 drops Lavender EO

1 oz carrier oil

Place oils in a 4 oz amber glass spray bottle and fill it up with Witch Hazel. Works wonders!