Medicinal Herbs and Plants for Chickens

vickeym
vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have heard there are many herbs that are beneficial for egg production, calming and less stressful birds and so on. I know ACV is good for them added to their water and garlic can help prevent mites and such. Can anyone recommend some medicinal plants and herbs for chickens and what they are used for?

Comments

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I have heard of tossing herb clippings into their nest boxes to help deter mites and such. I use the flowers from trimming my basil in there. If there are any seeds my oldest hen likes to nibble on them. I also toss mint twigs into their coupe. They love those! I had to protect my mint for the longest time because they almost ate it to the ground! these are the only 2 real herbs I have growing in abundance right now. I have also given them fresh moringa leaves in the past.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@vickeym I just watched a presentation about chickens with the organic gardening workshop with Melissa K Norris. If you could get logged into that you’d be able to see it. I don’t remember all of the herbs she used but I remember her saying she added lavender to their nesting boxes and she also grew a small herb garden just for them.

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

i have oregano, calendula, marrigolds , and garlic chives coming out my ears. but all i give to my chickens regularly i cant use lavender but htere are alot of other herbs out there that help chickens, i;m in the proccess of giving 1 chicken plantain for a swollen spot on her face to see if she will heal or become stew

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

Lavender, the mints, sage, I put in my bird's nesting boxes to deter mites, lice and mice. I toss peeled, crushed garlic, calendula and marigolds blossoms to the enclosed birds for general health. The free range birds nibble continuously in the herb garden and they showed me this year, they really like the maypops the passionflowers produce.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited October 2019

That should help. How did you keep it on her face?

Does she have any other signs of illness other than swelling in the face? If so, would also give her something for the sinus area. If you gave her respiratory & anti-___ herbs, that might help as well. Give her a treat of elderberries too.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited October 2019

@vickeym I have an extensive list of herbs for chickens. It has their uses & actions. I will post it when I have more time.

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

@maimover Great suggestions! We give tour hens ACV in their water a few days a week. We use DE weekly in their coop and sprinkle in their nesting boxes. They are rotated every couple of days. I love the idea of growing them an herb garden. We have used rosemary and lavender in their nesting boxes too.

@merlin44 I didn't know they link maypops! Awesome.

Thanks for sharing these great tips! :)

• vickeym

Thank you all for your tips and suggestions. We finally got space cleared for our garden so come spring will be planting as much as I can. Getting ideas now for what I want/need to plant for ourselves and our girls. Don't like giving pharma chemical concoctions unless there is no other choice. And fairly new to the herbal medicines. So I really appreciate everyone sharing with me. @Laurie Looking forward to seeing your list. Living in Alaska we have a very short growing season so we try to do as much as possible as quickly as we can. The long days of sunlight grown some incredible plants here, just not all varieties are possible.

• nksunshine27

@Laurie i made it into a spray and sprayed it on the area, but i noticed today when i opened her mouth she has more going on than that, shes actually has some curd cheesy looking stuff on the inside of her mouth she's and old bird so think i'm just going to stew pot her. thanks for the advice on the other herbs, it seems chickens and dogs are the easiest to give them to cats are another subject LOL

• LaurieLovesLearning

@nksunshine27 I have not heard of that before. It might be worth checking into that symptom to make sure that it isn't contagious & of course, just to know what it is should it appear somewhere again. Build your knowledge!

• merlin44

@nksunshine27 Just a note, I use homeopaths primarily with my cats, (eliminates the bloodshed-mine!! LOL).

• nksunshine27

@Laurie i found out that the swolen spot on my chicken was actually canker (trichomonosis) and i put organic homemade applecider vinegar in her water

• vickeym

@Laurie when you get a chance I would still love your list.

@vickeym I have an extensive list of herbs for chickens. It has their uses & actions. I will post it when I have more time.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@vickeym I haven't forgotten. I have just been dealing with a lot lately. It is still on my to do list. 😉

• LaurieLovesLearning

I will post a few. Listing them all with their uses would take so very long and I am still working on a way to quickly reference all of them for all of their uses...it is not yet complete. I hope to start on a list for cattle at some point as well as I learn more.

I will address respiratory illness with important notes first, then the herbs. When mine had a mystery resp. illness (I believe caused by a roo that I brought in & didn't bother to quarantine 😞), I gave them what I called "chicken salad." It contained herbs to support the respiratory system, blood flow, & had anti- herbs. You can mix & match depending on what they are fighting and what you have on hand. You can also give your birds some tinctured herbs after use as long as they are safe for birds to consume. I have no dosages. This will give you a start. Fresh is best, but dry will do. Don't let anything mold.

In the case of a respiratory illness (there are so many!), quarantine them in a clean, dry area well away from others. A quarantine is usually considered 30'+ away from the others (I would suggest downwind). Thirty days is a generally suggested quarantine period.

Check for dusts & molds in the bedding/building. Check for issues with feed. If wild birds can access the chickens, close off all outside contact points if the chickens are indoors. Wild birds spread a lot of disease & parasites. Be careful to feed/water these birds last. Keep the feeders/waterers clean. Some folks suggest a change of footwear &/or clothing, but certain poultry diseases spread by wind, dust, touch, tracking and even through your breath for, I think that I read, up to 5 days post contact. Biosecurity isn't foolproof as some would suggest. Clean & disinfect the bird pen thoroughly and let it air out for 2 weeks before adding any birds back into that space. If sun can hit the interior, even better!

Thyme - respiratory health, antiseptic

Dill - respiratory health

Basil - immune support, mucus membrane health

Bee Balm - aids digestion, respiratory health

Dandelions - antiviral

Oregano - antiseptic/antibiotic

Cilantro - antifungal

Plantain - mild antibiotic, anticoccidial, promotes healing

Comfrey - promotes healing

Crushed chillis - circulation, internal parasites

Sage - internal parasites

Lavender - antiseptic

Nasturtium - antibiotic, antiseptic

Calendula - antibacterial

Lemon balm - antibacterial, antiviral

Chives

Now, ACV in ungalvanized waterers & 1 crushed garlic clove/gal of water would also help in this case.

During the winter season, we give our chickens (all in uninsulated coops) crushed chilis. It helps with blood circulation so = warmth, egg laying & deworming. We have given them scratch as well in the winter. I just wish that it contained non gmo corn.

• merlin44

@Laurie Thanks for the list, a great reference for our little feathered friends. Hiland Naturals has non-GMO layer feed and scratch.

• vickeym

@Laurie Thanks for the list this will be a great start. I have a new batch of girls and do not want to use any commercial medications if any issues come up.

I understand that you are busy with other demands that life throws at you, which makes me even more grateful for you sharing this information.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@merlin44 @vickeym You are both welcome. Keep researching safe and effective herbs for your animals. There is information out there! I found some on graphics, web articles/vet sites (including Doc), you tube & forums. Remember, just as when working with people, check many sources and trusted sources before believing and implementing. I have also stumbled across information from various old cultures that has been very enlightening.

I first want to know what the herb does, then if it is safe for the animal, and a dose if available. 😀

• merlin44

In general, I've found if a herb is safe for humans, its safe for chickens. My free-rangers have access to various herbs I grow so they pick and choose what they like.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@merlin44 I have also found that to be true for the most part with chickens but not always (potatoes should be boiled, not fed raw).

When dealing with other animals though, there are plants that can easily harm that do no damage to people.

• vickeym

We had an issue a little while ago, I meant to post this then and forgot. We found a couple spots with bloody poo in one of our coops then a few days later in another coop. Hubby was not home and between work and taking care of everyone I could not get to town to get any medicine for coccidosis. Which is what I suspected it might be. I had a big batch of fire cider I made which had the addition of oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil and sage. We sometimes give acv in the water so I figured what the heck I'll give it a try. Gave all the coops a bit in their water for a couple days. Never had any sign again and everyone has been healthy. We were so happy now I make extra so we can give it to them periodically to help keep them healthy.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited March 2022

Below is a review of a book that I bought that uses herbs & homeopathic remedies for poultry diseases.

I finally felt that I had the brain capacity to take in the information a bit better today.

The book looks pretty good. It has information by disease, a list of herbs, homeopathic lists, a materia medica, a symptom checker, how to herbally deal with worms & parasites, divisions by body system (respiratory, etc.), and a section explaining herbal & homeopathic dosage. It also has a signs of health & (normal) vital stats, which animals are best & worst with chickens (small to large livestock).

It addresses turkeys & ducks too. Ducks generally stay healthy. Their biggest issue is not using medicated starter & feed and making sure that they have enough niacin in their first 8-10 weeks.

Below is the list you may wish to try to gather as seed now (to grow fresh) & dried for your birds' ailments.

To know more details about how to use them and when to use each, you will need to get the book.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

This looks like a really good book for anyone who is raising poultry.

Quite a few of the herbs listed should be available for wildcrafting in most areas or can be grown in the garden. The rest are available at health food stores as all are fairly common.

The homeopathic remedies listed are polycrest (most commonly used) remedies, so they should be available at any health food stores or natural pharmacies that sell remedies.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@vickeym Thanks for posting this----I have enjoyed reading (and learning) from all the replies!

• vickeym

LaurieLovesLearning Thank you for sharing this. I see it's available on Amazon so will be ordering it soon.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

My herbal teacher had one of her hens attacked by the others. She rescued the hen and then made a poultice of nettles which she held on the hen's wounds. The hen recovered nicely and, in a few days, was back to normal.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning thank you for the list. As a new hen keeper I find it very useful. I also develop a list of poisonous plants for the chicken to be sure that they have no access to them. But an experienced hen keeper told me, that hens know themselves what to eat and what not. Do you try to remove those plants from the area where chicken run free or leave the chicken to decide themselves what is good or bad for them?

@vickeym a very useful discussion. Thanks!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@jowitt.europe They won't eat the poisonous plants. I imagine that if it is all they can find, they might, however, like any other animal that's desperate.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning that is good news. They will definitely find more than enough good plants in my garden. But, as it is quite wild, there would be something like foxglove or narcissus, or lupine. They are all beautiful plants and I want to keep them.